- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: windshield wiper switch for a 66 buick riviera

windshield wiper switch for a 66 buick riviera

Do anyone know if you can use a regular toggle switch as a windshield wiper switch on a 66 buick riviera and if so fill me in on how to install it, (my wipers just moves 15% up the windshield now and then comes down), it goes through the motion but doesn't make a full swipe.
    Paid $2800 just like it is!

Before you rush out and buy a switch, run a couple of simple tests first.

Unplug the three-terminal connector at the wiper motor. Turn on the ignition switch and check for power on the yellow wire. If no power, check at both sides of the wiper fuse and fix this problem before going any further.

If you have power on the yellow wire, reconnect the plug. Unplug the connector at the wiper switch. Ground the light blue wire only. If the wiper motor runs now, you can use a normal on-off switch as a patch (high speed only, and no washer). If the motor doesn't run, you have a problem in the motor or in the connecting wire between the motor and the switch.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Wipers

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Before you rush out and buy a switch, run a couple of simple tests first.

Unplug the three-terminal connector at the wiper motor. Turn on the ignition switch and check for power on the yellow wire. If no power, check at both sides of the wiper fuse and fix this problem before going any further.

If you have power on the yellow wire, reconnect the plug. Unplug the connector at the wiper switch. Ground the light blue wire only. If the wiper motor runs now, you can use a normal on-off switch as a patch (high speed only, and no washer). If the motor doesn't run, you have a problem in the motor or in the connecting wire between the motor and the switch.

Ray
    I tested the light blue wire and it has power, all three wires have power, so the switch is self grounding?
    Last edited by terry march; 09-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.

The stock switch is grounded through its mounting. If you use a universal SPST switch, connect the light blue wire to one terminal and ground the other terminal.

Ray

wiper switch

Thanks for replies Raycow, I just recently installed the switch, I put the light blue wire on the on side of the toggle switch and grounded the off side of a 3way toggle and it worked but for some reason it still want to move 15% of the way when the switch is off. In other words the toggle still have power when the switch is off, what will cause that?

The motor contains a set of cam-actuated parking contacts which allow the wiper arms to return to their parked position after you turn the switch off.

Try the easy fix first. Remove the arms from their shafts and reposition them so they are all the way down when the motor is at the parked position. If you do this, stand by at the motor power connector to be able to unplug it in a hurry if the blades jam against any obstruction at the bottom of their stroke. In other words, unplug the connector, turn the switch on, plug in the connector, and wait for the blades to travel through a full sweep. Do this at the MOTOR connector, NOT the switch connector.

If you don't think this sounds like the easy fix, wait till you get to the difficult one.

Please post again if this doesn't work for you or if you do not fully understand these instructions.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.

1966 buick riviera wipers

I followed the instructions and they are still doing the same thing, (The drivers side blade arm goes on the bottom and the passenger side on top right?) so I adjusted the blade arms to the bottom of the molding, by the wiper motor switch adjusted the arms again to the molding, put the switch back on to run a full swipe and they are still the same, but i noticed they are still about 5 inches above the molding should i try to adjust them from there? Just tried that it didn't work either, got any other ideals of what it can be.

When the wipers are parked, the driver's side arm should be on top. Apart from that, I'm not sure exactly what you are saying/asking here, so try this:

Let the wipers stop naturally by turning off the wiper switch. Don't stop them by turning off the ignition. Now remove the arms from the shafts and re-install them with the blades down next to the molding. If this is what you did and it didn't work, things get a little complicated.

Go here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/10-b.pdf
    and look at item #3 on page 10-24. Does this describe what is happening? If yes, I can't think of any simpler way to explain how to fix the problem than the manual does.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.

66 riviera wipers

Yes, that whats going on. I just replaced the switch and the blades are still moving up and down and I also tried to adjust the blades but its hard when you can't get the blade to the off position. When i think i got then to bottom out, I adjust them just only to find them still higher than before.