From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: Buick 455 swap into 2nd gen camaro

Buick 455 swap into 2nd gen camaro

Hello all! So I've had my 1972 Buick 455 engine and 3 speed trans for about 10 years now and I am finally getting around to rebuilding them and I find myself wanting to install it in a 1974 camaro to make a really bad *** untouchable camaro... my question is what all do I need to do to the camaro or have to make this possible? What kind of wiring harness do I get or use? What motor mounts do I need? And do I need to get a custom drive shaft? Any help would be great thanks...

you should not need to mess with the wiring, not sure about motor mounts, but the Camaro most likely came with turbo 350, you need a turbo 400 to handle that 455 torque which means the drive shaft needs to be cut down, should be a monster when you get her finished.

Quote Originally Posted by brettb View Post
    Hello all! So I've had my 1972 Buick 455 engine and 3 speed trans for about 10 years now and I am finally getting around to rebuilding them and I find myself wanting to install it in a 1974 camaro to make a really bad *** untouchable camaro... my question is what all do I need to do to the camaro or have to make this possible? What kind of wiring harness do I get or use? What motor mounts do I need? And do I need to get a custom drive shaft? Any help would be great thanks...
    Better take a good look at your crossmember and steering and see if the 455 oil pan will fit down there.

I've been running a T 350 behind my 455 for years and flogged on it and its still ok . But a couple of guys i know from around home tore it down and put lots of good parts into it and never a problem with it . I can;t tell you all what they put in the t 350 cause my buddy wouldn't tell me Why don't know Its hard to explain he's just that way .If you use a well built T350 there's no driveline modifications ie you use the same tranny mounts and drive shaft.Some of the wiring starter and oil sensor had to be lengthened but very easy to do.I ran a new gas line up the frame because the original gas line was for a chev 350 and needed to be on the opposite for a buick. Some times i felt like burning the car cause of frustration but it turned out well. Motor mounts .i used the original ones and modified them slightly, i took an1/8 th grinding disc and cut the mounts in half and rewelded them back together ,this lowered the engine enough so the hood would close . Next i leveled the car as best i could and and then bolted the engine and tranny together and dropped into the car .I bolted the T350 into the tranny cross member so i had a fixed starting point i then leveled the engine, (the modified motor mounts were installed loosely) side to side after i figured the motor was level i tack welded the mounts to the car frame , pulled the engine drilled the mount holes and bolted them in the car frame and put the engine back in .This sounds crude i know but had a wife and 4 kids so money was tight and this was my first swap that wasn't bolt in . THere may be better ways of doing the install but it worked well for me and still does . Oh ya this combo went into a 78 Z28 so youknow . Good luck its a fun car.