Thread: Choice of paint for 66 Riv.

Choice of paint for 66 Riv.

Hi guys.

I just wanted some opinions from you guys reference paint. My 66 Rivs original paint, accorrding to vin, was paint code DD Astro Blue. The color as it is on the inside of the car looks fine but when I see pics on the internet of it I dont like it. I am all for trying to keep the car as original as possible but if I dont like the color.....why paint it that.
    So thats the feedback I would like...original color no mater what and just suck it up of choose a color that I prefer dispite what the vin says?
    If I did change the color it would be from the same model year and the interior is black so it does kinda match everything...except black.

Thanks Tony

I know I would paint it what I wanted, if it were my car. You are the one who has to be happy with it. My car is definitely not the original color, and will never be.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Once you decide to change the color, all possibilities are open - not just the same year options. Why limit yourself when it still will not match the ID plate? I painted my 63 Riv (with a 65 front clip) vintage metal flake burgundy. It was a Ford color from 1964, but it sure looked good on the Riv. I looked at a lot of paint samples before selecting that color. I would not have been satisfied with the limited colors and textures in the 63 Buick line. How about sonic blue? It is a color from Ford available on the Mach 1 and Cobra in 2003. That is the next color I want to paint.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Hey Thanks!

Thanks to both of you. I was planning to get about 4 different samples from the paint shop. Now I will wait and look around for other colors to check out. Astro Blue will be one of them and ...who knows?...maybe it will be fine. I friend of mine said he made the mistake of changing the original color and regretted it so he didnt want me to do the same. Another guy who does lots of shows was saying it would be better to be the original color. I am not much of a"show guy"so I am a little more open to something different.

Thanks again.

Tony

If you plan on keeping your car - go for a colour you like and want to live with - who cares that it doesn't match the original colour on the VIN code?
    Just remember - a change from the original colour, will most likely cost more, as there is a lot more time and prep work involved to do a proper job.
    My '68 was done in a non original colour 30+ years ago, and still looks great !!
    Post some pics when you get the repaint finished.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

its only paint!

I mean if you don't like it repaint it.
    its not like you are making a change to the car you can not reverse again so go with the color you like.

if you are building this car to make a buck keep the original color, or if you intend to use it for shows original color mathers, if its a keeper, driver and intended for personel enjoyment paint it whatever you want! its nobody's bussiness
    heck blue with red and yellow spots even sounds good to me!
    Grease monkey and proud to be one!VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE

Hey thanks roadmouse .....you too Rivman. Thats the kind off input I am looking for. It sounds simple but I really want to get this right and now, after what was spoken about on this thread, I am going for a color that I like. It was Astro Blue off the line in 66 and when I got it it was a white of some kind. The Astro Blue does not do anything for me but I did not want to paint it something else and then regret not going with the original color some time later. So thanks to you guys and some other people I talked to I am picking something else. I am going with a color from around that era though....looking at maybe that Gun Metal color or Riviera Blue...still thinking on it. I have to do some work around the back window first and there are some other body issues to be fixxed though so pics will be awhile yet but I will post em when its done.

Thanks again and if anyone else has 2 cents they wanna say about it...or suggestions...feel free.

Tony