3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell closer to $30k

0 0%
  • Sell closer to $25k

3 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 GS 400 Convertible Frame-off Restoration

1969 GS 400 Convertible Frame-off Restoration

My 69 GS 400 Convt is nearing the end of an extensive ($) restoration. From the frame and suspension being rebuilt, expoxied & painted, both inner & outer fender, 1/4s, cowl, full new floor pan replacement/repaired, bumpers replated, #s matching engine & trans rebuilt w/ HEI, new stainless gas tank, exhaust system fuel & brake lines, disc brake conversion, new rubber gasketing, new redline radials + + +
    All that being said...anyone know what to expect it will sell for since I will probably need to part with it when done next month?
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh, that hurts.

having to sell a resto before you even get to enjoy it.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

45 Views and not 1 opinion?

would have been nice for some feedback

Quote Originally Posted by nedm View Post
    My 69 GS 400 Convt is nearing the end of an extensive ($) restoration. From the frame and suspension being rebuilt, expoxied & painted, both inner & outer fender, 1/4s, cowl, full new floor pan replacement/repaired, bumpers replated, #s matching engine & trans rebuilt w/ HEI, new stainless gas tank, exhaust system fuel & brake lines, disc brake conversion, new rubber gasketing, new redline radials + + +
    All that being said...anyone know what to expect it will sell for since I will probably need to part with it when done next month?

The 68-69 have a reputation as a stepchild. They do not bring the clamor or money of the 70/71. I would think a good one could command just north of 20K, but would easily cost double that to have restored. Like the early GS, you have to really like it and keep it to offset the costs of restoration. You will not make the cost back if sold.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

*shrugs*

i've never tried to price or sell a 69 GS so i don't have any specific information to add to that.

the only thing i could tell you would be the same thing that Doc just did: you're probably not going to come close to recovering your resto cost.

but that applies to most resto work, regardless of the car.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Oh I understand!

I know I'm losing money...but just how much is the purpose of all this. Hagerty & NADA's pricing tools tell me mid to high $20's....haven't seen Old Car Price Guide yet

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    *shrugs*

i've never tried to price or sell a 69 GS so i don't have any specific information to add to that.

the only thing i could tell you would be the same thing that Doc just did: you're probably not going to come close to recovering your resto cost.

but that applies to most resto work, regardless of the car.

I have owned several, and I think you are in the right price range, and could even end up in the low $30's, but partly it will depend on how nice the work was done, and if it was done concours correct, or just "done". Colors and options will also play a factor. Could also end up in the high teens or low twenties if lower quality work.

I know of a restored red 68 priced at $35k that is getting some interest. I have seen several other 68/69 converts sell in the twenties.

It sounds like yours has had quite a bit of rust repair work, which may scare off buyers, especially if the work wasn't done to high level.

WOW!! I didn't expect that car to have that much work!!! I looked at it when it was for sale 2-3 years ago by the second (?) owner in CT (the owner prior to the guy you purchased it from). I had a shot to purchase at $5000. Looks like you made some great progress!! Silver with black is an 'elegant' color combination. The rust repair may keep some buyers away... however, based on recent sales, I would think $20's would be the ballpark.... Good luck!!

Thanks

for most of your replies! Fortunately, the guy restoring is highly experienced and qualified as a body man. His work has exceeded my expectations. His name is Mark Jacobson from Auburn , NH and he has 35 years' experience.
    Most everyone (who had certain levels of qualifications) who saw the car prior to restoration thought it was a good, solid #s matching car. Only during dis-assembly did the rust expose itself. All the rust work was done with no shortcuts. I replaced the full floor vs. just patches....same for fenders and cowl parts. Sticking with originality w/ 2 exceptions, the HEI distributor and stainless gas tank, exhaust and lines. Even putting redline radials on it. The silver and black will also remain when repainted.
    Amazingly, the interior is in incredibly good shape considering the metal issues.
    Once again, I KNOW I will lose money in the end, so reminders of that are not very helpful.
    Thanks in particular to cpj69 and 1969stage for their input

Silver and black looks very nice when finished correctly. Here is a picture of my old 69 Stage 1 Convertible ( I owned it twice!).
    Attached Images Attached Images