Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stubbe

stubbe

Hello Buickfriends and i am sorry fo my bad spelling.Somebody that knows the Wiring
    from horncontakt in steering Wheel tru tube and out to the carbonplate under dash.
    the car is a 54 super convertible.Please let mi know.Right now i have a pushbutton
    under dash to honk.
    Stubbe in Sweden.:

The wire from the steering column connects to the "S" terminal on the horn relay.

If this is not the answer you are looking for, please ask the question again, because I am not completely certain about what question you are asking.

Ray

Stubbe in Sweden

Hello Ray.Get your letter of my ask about wire to horn.
    From Whit steering wheel out,there a hole in steearing axle,tube,rod where
    a cable should run true in my imagination.But where under dash is cable get
    out.
    Sorry of bad spelling.
    A Buickfriend in Sweden.

The wire from the steering column goes into the wiring harness under the dash. The harness runs through the firewall into the engine compartment, where the wire comes out of the harness and connects to the "S" terminal of the horn relay.

Judging from your questions, it sounds as if the wire which connects to the column is missing. If all you want is to get the horn working, it would be a lot less work to run a new wire from the column through the firewall and connect it to the relay. On second thought, if you have a pushbutton which blows the horn now, the button must be connected to the relay, so just connect the wire from the column to the wire which goes to the pushbutton. Of course the fact that a PO installed the pushbutton may mean that the switch under the steering wheel is bad, so this may not solve your problem.

If this is not the answer you are looking for, then I am still failing to understand your question, so please ask again.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 08-14-2013 at 12:39 AM.

stubbe,

Hello Buickfriends allover.The horn ring on steering wheel is shorted to ground
    if i are right.But where goes cable from steering wheel, down in and under
    dash.My horn is working whit push button under dash.
    The only i wonder is the wire from steering wheel to the spring in stearing
    hose/axle.its a slot in hose under dash were carbon and spring is fastened
    whit screw.
    I hope you understand my spellings.
    Stubbe in a sunny Sweden

horn circuit

Hi Stubbe, I joined this forum just to answer your question. The horn contact on the steering wheel should be adjustable, remove the horn button/ring and see if horn still blows or is shorted through the column. On the end of the hollow steering shaft is a spring loaded contact button and should be insulated/isolated so it doesn't ground. The horn button grounds the contact to blow the horn. The wire attached to the contact goes thru the steering shaft down to a brass sleeve which is mounted over a rubber sleeve on the steering shaft. The wire is soldered to the brass sleeve and the rubber insulates it from ground. If you removes the external plate with the spring loaded brush from the window, you can inspect the brass sleeve and wire to see if it is broken or detached. Many times the brass sleeve splits in several places. If the sleeve is solid and undamaged, the brush pattern should be good where it contacts it. You can test the circuit with an ohm meter, the brass sleeve and the contact button at the steering wheel end should show a circuit but neither one should have continuity to ground. The horn button grounds the circuit. From there it goes to your horn relay. Your original wire is probably hooked up to the push button now, correct? Hope this helps if I understood your question correctly. PS: If the brass sleeve or wire is damaged, you will have to pull the column to replace it. TexasJohn

Horn contact

Hi Stubbe, Greetings from a newcomer to this forum. Stubbe, I was motivated to join this forum just to help with your question, if I understand it correctly. The entire horn circuit is isolated from ground, you say it is shorted and the horn blows all the time? You now have a pushbutton working the horn. Remove the horn button, there is a spring loaded contact in the end of the hollow steering shaft with a wire that runs down inside the shaft to a brass sleeve mounted on rubber to the steering shaft. The wire is soldered to the brass sleeve and the rubber is the insulator. Remove the plate with the spring loaded brush from the lower end of the column and visually inspect the brass sleeve and wire connection while turning the wheel back and forth. The sleeve sometimes splits and the pieces drag or rub the inside of the column which will short it and blow the horn. The circuit can be tested with an ohmmeter. Neither the brass sleeve or the contact at upper end should have continuity to ground with the horn button off the contact at the top. There should be continuity from the brass sleeve at bottom to the contact at top through the wire, but no continuity to ground. If the brass sleeve is damaged, the column will have to be removed to replace it. I made a new one from some brass/copper plumbing for my '55. I hope this helps. TexasJohn

stubbe

Tanks Texas John.I have no cable,wire in steering axle,rod.In the winter i
    take out stearing tube and conect a new cable if its not damaged whit solderpoints
    Tanks for give me good feedback on this.Have the lady 35 years now but the horn
    is blowing under dashbutton.Only 2 pieces missing,the windshields on doors.
    same in cadillac 53 eldorado.
    Stubbe in Sweden

Rusty coolant

You are welcome.

If I remember correctly, you posted a question about rusty coolant and not being able to get it flushed out. You need to remove all the freeze plugs in the sides of the block and dig out all the rust and sediment, then turn on the water hose to flush it all out before installing new freeze plugs. The starter wil have to be removed. You can get alot of it out by just removing the rear plug on each bank but the freeze plugs probably need to be replaced anyway. My 55 had enough sediment in the block to completely cover the rear freeze plug hole. Something else to consider this winter.

Stubbe

Hello.And tanks for the advise to take out plugs and clean inside
    the nailhead.I also clean the heater under seat,there is no good
    heat in coupe nomore.Maibe is rust sediment there also.I have
    a new restorded heater,but the same maibe in cooler for dynaflow,
    maibe its also stugged,and the defroster heater maibe also stugged.
    I have some work to do in winter.But no worry,i have the lady in
    i fine garage.Thanks for your feedback,nice .
    Stubbe.