- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 1968 LeSabre Convertible instrument cluster removal

1968 LeSabre Convertible instrument cluster removal

1968 LeSabre Custom Convertible

I have a couple of electrical issues to chase, and lots of dash lamps out, so I decided to pull out the cluster. 30 minutes, right?

Well... no.

After 2 evenings I have the dash pad off and the cluster loose in the dash. Ridiculously difficult fastener access, razor edged panels, and,
    worst of all, forcing myself into the footwells to get access. Nearly got stuck tonight.

So I'm thinking: either the car was assembled by tiny Chinese acrobats, or I'm missing something. Does the whole dash assembly unbolt?

If not, how did they assemble the thing?

'68 Instrument Cluster

Believe it or not that cluster can be removed, and replaced, but it is a major 'PITA' !!

If you have a '68 Buick Shop Manual it will certainley make the job a little easier to locate all the fastners and identify the different components that hold the cluster in place. As I recall, you will have to remove the speedo cable, headlight switch, heater controls, radio (if equipped), ash tray, defroster ducts, and just about anything else that will allow access to the various fasteners and wiring harness to make the job easier.

Have an abundant supply of 'band aids' handy for all those sharp edges that will try their best to permanently scar your arms 'n hands. If the dash pad is off you will have some access through the top of the dash, but it's still a pretty confined area. Disconnect the battery so you don't end up welding your 3/8" socket to the bare metal portions of the dash.

Dropping the steering colume will give you a little more room to work too - cover the steering colume to reduce scratching the painted surface - removing the connectors from the rear of the cluster switches, without breaking them is almost next to impossible, and be very careful with the flexible printed circuit film on the rear of the cluster when you pull the main power connector on the wiring harness out of the rear of the cluster - most of these components were not meant to last 45+ years and are very brittle and corroded with age, so take your time and be careful.
    The shop manual details the procedure for re&re but performing the job is never quite as easy as they would have you believe.

The very first cluster I pulled was on a '68 LeSabre quite a few years back, which was my intro into becomming a contortionist without double joints - I have parted a few others, and most recent was 3 '68 Riviera clusters which are almost the same - I doubt I will be doing any more, as my old bones are not as pliable as they used to be, even though my brain thinks otherwise.

Just remember to take your time, and pretend your a 'brain' surgeon performing a major transplant !!
    . . . definetly not a 30 minute job !!
    Last edited by Rivman; 08-30-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Randy Hunter, ROA 155 - '68 Riviera GS (clone)
    "Wouldn't You Really Rather Own A Riviera ?"

68 LeSabre Instrument CLuster

Thanks for all the advice RivMan. I have made several blood sacrifices getting everything apart, but things are looking better now. I found a nest of twist n tape 'modifications', half the flexible PCB off the cluster, most of the bulbs blown, a bad headlight switch and a bad wiper motor and washer pump (not the switch, yay!).

I still think tiny Chinese acrobats were involved.