From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions

Thread: What direction to go with my 55 Buick?

What direction to go with my 55 Buick?

This is my 55 a few years back before I let it set covered in the garage and fall into disrepair. It's not running right now but that's a mater of a tuneup and a fuel tank clean out.
    My question is what do I do with it. The engine has a bit of blow by and the torque ball leaks trans fluid. What I want it to be is a up to date reliable drive any where any time ride.
    Do I:
    Rebuild the 264 Nail and Dynaflow trans, add injection, AC, disc brakes, alt, tunes and all that crap.
    OR....
    Replace the old stuff with later stuff, Chevy small block, turbo 350, 10 bolt rear all of which I have, and add the injection AC disc brakes and the other crap to the mix.
    I'm not looking for it to be a rad custom just a good old car. I'll do some kind of wheel / tire upgrade and recover the front seat and replace the carpet.
    Tell me what you think.

I think you are on the right track. To get daily driver type
    reliability, you definitely need to lose the Dynaflow and torque tube.
    If you do that, then the engine swap really won't be all that much more
    work. In fact, it will probably be less work/money than rebuilding the
    nail and adapting it to a modern transmission. Besides the other mods
    you mentioned, you might also want to consider adding PS if the car
    doesn't already have it.

The purists will probably hate me for saying this, but the stock setup
    on these cars just requires way too much maintenance if you want to use
    the car for a daily driver. I know this for a fact because my 52 is
    basically stock except for replacing the Dynaflow with a manual trans.

Ray

Consider making a Street Rod out of it!!!!!

Newbie - The Buick purists will probably be sticking pins in a Voo Doo Doll for me after I tell you this but, it's your car and your money and your time - so do with it as you want. Make an honest assessment of your '55 and what you want out of it. I can only provide advice based on my own experiences. I took a '47 Chevy that was pretty worn out and beat up and made it into a street rod that I drove several thousands of miles on a trip to Colorado. Your '55 could be similar. I based my '47 on parts I salvaged out of a '69 Chevy Impala that I parted out. I used the engine, transmission, rear axle, driveshaft, steering column, wiring harness, swing pedal assembly, power brake booster/master cylinder, power steering box, etc. You could do the same but, you would have to adapt all this stuff to the '55. But, if you can do fabrication, mechanic work and some engineering - you can do it. Also, since it is a '55 - some aftermarket '55 Chevy stuff might bolt on - for example, motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc. Consider making it into a Street Rod because - I think you'll be much happier with it. I could jump into my '47 and drive it anywhere. Before you begin a project like this - be sure to do a lot of research, look at a lot of similar projects and ask a zillion questions of people who have done something similar. It took me several years to build my '47 so, it's not an easy road to travel - you must have grit and determination to see it through. Be sure to use a certified welder and get critical welds magnafluxed. Good Luck!!!! Mike

Thanks, I've decided for now to stay with the nail and dyna, what dosen't want to play my game will be replaced. I've converted to pointless igniton, have replaced the fuel tank and may add AC. I've built a few street rods and have restored a 1959 slingshot rail that will pass NHRA tech inspection. So building is nothing new to me and I worked as a welder for 25 years welding is not a problem. I just have to make the decision which road to take restore, update a little or everything. Time & miles will tell.