-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: 263 front main seal???

263 front main seal???

I seem to always come to this, not beeing able to remember the installation of the (best gasket) front crank seal.
    Removing the 50+ yr old factory seal doesn't help but make installatation easier. If I remember correctly, the flat end goes in first, expoxing the open end?
    Any special sealer?
    All I have is green, red locktight, super high tack gasket sealant (97b) & 1-form¤A gasket sealant (1b).
    Short on cash as well.
    I'm painting the engine parts prior to assembly and need to get this seal installed.
    I don't have the tool, if auto zone doesn't provide a rental, any special tricks one would like to share with.

Is everyone in the same boat as I am..
    I'm sure someone knows if I'm right regarding the installation. Regarding the sealer, I've read eather locktight or the brown stuff will work.
    Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 32special View Post
    Regarding the sealer, I've read eather locktight or the brown stuff will work.
    Anyone?
    You're talking about the timing cover seal, right? If yes, I wouldn't use the locktite. This could make the seal extremely difficult to remove the next time you need to replace it. What you want is to prevent a leak around the outside of the seal, so just use any conventional oil-resistant sealant.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    You're talking about the timing cover seal, right? If yes, I wouldn't use the locktite. This could make the seal extremely difficult to remove the next time you need to replace it. What you want is to prevent a leak around the outside of the seal, so just use any conventional oil-resistant sealant.

Ray
    no...he wants the main at the rear of the block,next to the flywheel.. cant really say myself..i didnt come to those issues yet w/my 320's, wish i could tell ya. i know i got all the books and manuals,but they dont get into modern applications..

front seal

Quote Originally Posted by dio View Post
    no...he wants the main at the rear of the block,next to the flywheel.. cant really say myself..i didnt come to those issues yet w/my 320's, wish i could tell ya. i know i got all the books and manuals,but they dont get into modern applications..
    Read the first post. He's asking about the front seal.

front seal

Thanks guys.I got it sorted out.I had to install with a flat round chizel, it took me a while because I was doing light taps in a circular motion.I did how ever apply red locktight around the edges just to seal, its thick stuff so it doesn't penetrate much like the green stuff.over all it came out good.
    Attached Images Attached Images