Thread: My next Buick, your opinion?

My next Buick, your opinion?

Hi all,

i'm facing a bit of a dilemma here and I would value opinions and input on the following:

I drive a -63 Riviera, and absolutely love it as it is, a very nice and gentleman-like cruiser. However, the beast in me who is always craving for more power, more smoking tires and more disappointed BMW drivers at traffic lights is raising it's head. And his nagging voice is starting to take effect.

What I think I want is:

- A Buick from the early seventies to mid-eighties
    - Equipped with an engine which has good possibilities to be turned into a street monster (350/455/?)
    - With a tranny capable of handling a bit of power
    - Hard top
    - Doesn't need to be very flashy, can be a bit of a Sleeper
    - OR a Riviera of that era, If they fullfill the other points
    - Still moderately priced, so not an ultra-collectible (so I'll still have cash to pour into performance parts!)
    - Not going for the strip, just street

What am I looking for here? Suggestions or insights? Which engine do I want to build?

Thanks!

Lasse

You want a 455, or if it doesn't have one, stuff it in.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

- A Buick from the early seventies to mid-eighties

that's a really strange range of styles you've got there.

the 71-73 Boat tails are really stylish AND they all come with a 455 and TH400 ... but they're also hugh jazz, heavy beasts. weight is nicht gut for racing.

74-76 are just as big as the Boat tails, with crappy emissions constrained big blocks and no style. only reason to buy in this range is they're probably cheaper. 75-76 engine blocks are a bit heavier duty, if you're going to build up the engine you may want to start with one of those.

77-78 are shrinking a little bit in size but the 455 was no longer available so you're looking at an engine swap or working with an Olds 403 or Buick 350. body style here doesn't do anything for me either.

79-85 get a little bit curvier and more to my taste body wise. big problem is that all Rivs after 78 are front wheel drive. if you wanted to invest the major time and cost into converting one of these to RWD ( basically, a faux Regal ), i'm sure you'd scare the crap out of a lot of people. there are a lot of drag strip Regals putting 1000hp down out of a turbo 6.

86-93 is probably the lightest of the bunch, but i don't care for the body. i can't imagine there's much in the way of performance upgrades for the FWD system which will severely limit your ability to put power on the ground.

95-99 gained a bunch of weight again but i *really* dig this body style. you've also got the super charged 3.8L in a bunch of them, so the driveline can handle some power.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

he's right stage 1/2 455 or bigger , I think a 70-72 skylark , turbo 400 a must, 3.73 gears, or an 82 and up regal ,plain 1 ,not a t-type or gn ,you can stuff a 455 , but a gn engine would be easier , the rivs are heavy pigs , good hunting!

How about converting the DynaFlow out for a TH400. Lots of bang for the buck there & mostly a bolt-in swap for the most part. Then you can start adding/saving for performance goodies for your "Nail"
    Just another thought.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I drive a 4-door '69 Special.

The 4-door keeps the value way down, and the sleeper factor WAY up.

And plus it shares the platform with the GS, a 455 transplant was no problem.

I run high 12's at 108MPH (without the nitrous...) I don't even bother with BMW's any more. When my nitrous bottle is open, I love to blast past all kinds of pricey and/or "fast" cars...

-Bob C.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
    I drive a 4-door '69 Special.

The 4-door keeps the value way down, and the sleeper factor WAY up.

And plus it shares the platform with the GS, a 455 transplant was no problem.

I run high 12's at 108MPH (without the nitrous...) I don't even bother with BMW's any more. When my nitrous bottle is open, I love to blast past all kinds of pricey and/or "fast" cars...

-Bob C.
    sneaky HOWS ABOUT DRAGGIN WAGON T/A MIKE STYLE ! if me and rod and sherri can get him to dig it out

My two cents

From your post --you need a 455 with that 510 LBS FT of torque. If not a 1970 engine it must be "built"-- the 71 and up 455s are pretty weak with softer cams and less compression. I just sold a 70 Skylark with a built up 455 and I'm looking to replace her with a little nicer one with a built 455.

I would love to find a 455 teamed to a 700R4 transmission and carrying a 3.7 or above posi--talk about rare--but what a nice driving combo. If you look at the traditional and usual-- th400 tranny then 3.2 or so rear gear. I had the 2.93 in the one I sold and it handled it but a higher ratio would have been better. Go for a 12 bolt rear if you ever want to put slicks on her or if you blow out a 10 bolt. Parts for the 10 bolt are getting rare and expensive--Just replace with a 12 bolt.

Go for a Skylark to have the light weight.

You need an 86/87 Turbo Regal!