Thread: CHASSIS IDENTIFICATION HELP WANTED 1970's 1980"s

CHASSIS IDENTIFICATION HELP WANTED 1970's 1980"s

I HAVE A 1950 SITTING ON A LATTER MODEL Chassis but I am not sure what buick it is from as I bought the car from a dealer and he said it was from a 78 park avenue but I cannot confirm this. Can anyone please assist with this, was there any identifying marking ? or can someone scan and email me a picture out of a car manual that shows their chassis so I can compare it to mine. It has a 305 EFI / th700r setup but this may not have come with the chassis originally........ but it may be a clue. ( the trans number puts it about 1985). It does not have a 'X' member only the one across from rail to rail under the engine and at the back axle but one odd.... and possibly this is the key....TUBULAR member that picks up the rear of the trans...it is flattened where it meets the rails and is not completely straight as it takes a bend at one end and a curved up section on the pass side as if to allow an exhaust pipe to pass.....Any help much appreciated as I really need to know.

modern cars have the VIN stamped on the frame; this will tell you EVERYTHING about the car.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/ol/vverinst.htm
    "For example: A sedan has a plate in the forward luggage compartment that bears the VIN. In addition, the VIN is die stamped into the frame under the rear seat. "

i don't know for sure that the above location will be applicable to your frame but it's certainly a good place to start looking.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I'm not sure of the time period of the change, but frame Ids were on the left quarter frame behind the wheel opening this
    changed in the late 70's or early 80's to the rear frame bar under the trunk or behind the tag opening a little to the left.
    1978 and 79 appear to use the same frame. It possibly has the #459070 stamped along with the manufactures Id and time code.
    Hope this helps and my appoligy for not having more info.

David
    David Walker, BCA #30832
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1970 Field Manual $45.00
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1971 Field Manual $45.00
    "GS By The Numbers" Cast, Stamped, Part No., 1972 Field Manual $45.00
    "V.I.N.-Trim-Paint" By The Numbers, Buick V.I.N., Body and Interior Color Codes 1950-1975 $45.00
    Atlanta Buick Specialties,LLC.

Found id

Thanks for the hints, I finally found numbers today on the cross member between the rear springs, looking from the rear of the car its on the vertical section, pass side and it does show the date as well. Its a G-Platform frame.