- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Help....just bought 66 GS Wildcat convertible and it has 350 engine!

Help....just bought 66 GS Wildcat convertible and it has 350 engine!

Engine was swapped by former owners at unknown time for unknown reason.... Is it worthwhile to find another 66 Buick Nailhead? Since it wouldn't be the original engine, Will that help its value significantly or should I leave well enough alone?

First you must ask yourself whether you are going to sell the car or keep the car and drive it.

If you plan to keep it, do whatever you like to it which will give you the maximum driving enjoyment. It's your car, so you should build it the way you want it.

If you plan to sell it, and don't want to take a bath when you do. leave it exactly as it is. Here is why: With the loss of the original engine, it can never be a numbers matching car again. The most it will ever be is a clone, and any knowledgeable buyer will know this. The parts needed to install a nalhead in an A-body are both scarce and expensive. You will not be able to recover your cost when you sell the car.

If you just want more performance than you can get from the 350, install a BB. It will cost a lot less than a nailhead and the performance will be at least as good, if not better.

Ray

Thanks...I'm actually satisfied with the performance. Just bummed because a rare car was robbed of its engine. But I intend to keep and drive it. Thanks for the input!

Thumbs up

Since it's NOT an A body,parts are easy to find to put the car back to a nailhead.The 350 is not period correct & as such,not too impressive to most Buick guys.If it's a Chevy 350,expect a lot of dirty looks.I'd look for a running rusted doner car & swap it back to what's correct.It wont be numbers matching,but if it is a true GS convertible,which would be a rare find,it would be worthwhile.
    Last edited by 65specialconvert; 06-09-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

As I believe it is a true 66 GS Wildcat convertible, I think it is one of roughly 270 made. That's why its such a shame about the motor. I'm trying to trace it back through multiple former owners to find out its history.

Sorry Jen, I totally missed the part about it being a Wildcat. As correctly noted, the car is NOT an A-body, and this makes a nailhead swap a lot easier, as well as less expensive. I apologize for giving you wrong info.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 06-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

with out a doubt, find a nailhead and put it in.
    as there were 41 Wildcat conv"s and 198 Wildcat custom conv"s with the GS option, it is a very rare car.
    better to have a nailhead than a 350 which was NEVER offered in the cat.

Al
    Al
    65 GS Conv.

Can you find out anything from the former owner as to other former owners? Maybe a Chevy lover pulled the engine to make it better (in their mind) and the OEM stuff is sitting in a garage somewhere. Stranger things have happened. It would be worth finding out to me.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

I'm trying to trace the history of the car through the previous owners. Maybe I will get lucky. I thank everyone for their input! Its a gorgeous project car. Very worth restoring to me.