263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: Spacer crank shaft 248" St 8

Question Spacer crank shaft 248" St 8

Hi there from Australia.
    Restoring my '47 Buick Super, now reassembling the engine after full rebuild.
    I have come to putting on the harmonic balance. I have a spacer that fits the crank nose diameter with a cut out for the key-way on the nose of the shaft. I'm pretty sure that it goes between the crankshaft timing gear and the balancer. I am after your ideas and knowledge.
    No info in the manuals and I must have thought I would remember as I didn't take any photos of the set up when I dismantled it well over a year ago!
    Got an Edmunds twin carby manifold for it, plus A/C, discs on the front, 12 volt systems and a couple of other modern add-ons.

thanks

John

I think that you are probably right about it going between the dampener and the gear, but you could probably lay a straight edge across the cam gear and the crank gear and see how the alignment is. If the crank gear is set back about the thickness of the spacer then it would go behind. I've only seen one of these spacers and wondered the same thing.
    Doug

Thumbs up Spacer stuff

Thanks Buick Guy for your help. I actually did the straight edge stuff when I put the drive gears on. The crank gear was a tight fit and I placed it inline with the cam gear.
    The process is quite difficult to get the chain on as all the bits have to go on at once. I did put the crank gear on first and then realized the chain will not slip over the gears because of the center divide----live and learn I guess.
    Will post a reply when it's sorted.
    Have put on a full flow, remote, spin on oil filter system as well with advice from this forum. Will post photos and details when I get time.
    thanks to you and all..

Trackless

Problem solved

Hi there
    Have just found out via the Buick Car Club of America that the spacer is in fact a splash guard and does go between the gear and the balancer inside the timing cover.
    Regards

Trackless

Intake questions

Trackless,
    Could you show a picture of the Edmunds intake manifold for the 248?
    What numbers are stamped on it?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Edmunds Manifold

Tom,
    am off on holidays and will try to post a picture in a few days.
    There are no markings on my manifold except a stamp "OK" and a couple of small imprints which seem to be from the moulding on the underside.
    The top has EDMONDS CUSTOM.
    I'm getting my second carby o'hauled in the States now. Plan a fixed, not progressive linkage. The extra hp is a bonus as I see this as a period "hot-up" and that's what I'm after.
    The manifold is highly polished and looks the part! The car has been in the family since 1949.

See Ya

Trackless
    Last edited by Trackless; 06-11-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Just a note about carbs. If anybody is serious about "showroom" carbs, check out this company. www.hotrodcarbs.com . Produce some gorgeous stuff. [not cheap].
    Doug