Thread: New to the board, not new to V8 Buicks, but just purchased the first of my own....

New to the board, not new to V8 Buicks, but just purchased the first of my own....

Hello all. This forum has a wealth of information that I will rely heavily on as I just purchased (5/ a 1964 Buick Special Deluxe with the Wildcat 310 (300ci, 2brl, Aluminum Heads). It had a "new" rebuild (or at least new heads, Isky Cam p/n: 621256, and Crower Double Roller Timing set) back in 2008/2009 and has hardly been driven since.

I knew upon purchase that it was loading up and pre-igniting (backfiring through the carb) but really didn't think that it would be a big deal. It would start and idle fine with a nice throaty tone due to Borla Mufflers and exhaust turn downs before the rear end. After getting it home and adjusting the timing, searching vacuum leaks, etc....I still couldn't get it to stop pre-igniting. I pulled the valve covers and the attached pics tells you what I found...valve stem seals ate up and scattered around the heads. Attachment 259107Attachment 259108Attachment 259109 . Now I am torn....I was determined to keep this engine due to it's uniqueness and just find a 4 barrel intake for it and drive it. This was supposed to be a low-budget semi-hotrod...now that I've got to "tear into" it, should I find a 340 crank and stroke it, like this....http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...e/viewall.html or should I scrap it and drop in a 401 nailhead (almost as unique, but at least I can find more parts for it), or some other variation of bold buick badness? I have a line on a GS 430 engine with a Muncie 4 speed and 4:11 posi rear end...I just have to talk the guy into selling it. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Another question that I already feel I know the answer to....shouldn't I tear down the bottom end to since there are loose and floating valve seals in there (and just to check before doing head work then find out there is something else wrong)?

Moderators....if this was too much for an "intro" or should have been posted elsewhere for more effect, let me know...I can cut and paste because I do want maximum chance for response.

Thanks,
    Greg

Hi Greg!

Welcome aboard, sounds like a fun car!

Which way to go depends on how much of a horsepower freak you are. For me, I'd stay with the original engine and tweak it. But having a 430/4-speed/4.11 would be a lot of fun too (and increase your cost of tires too).

My reasoning for the smaller engine is the weight - for handling and "peppiness". If you want to go drag racing, the 430 is a great engine too. But I think it would make the car a bit more tedious to drive around. The small engine will still be a lot of fun.

For me, I'd go with a later car ('68-'72) because they seem to be easier to modify into a hard-hitting muscle machine.

-Bob C.