Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stubbe

Smile stubbe

Anywone knows why the fluid in radiator is rusty in my nailhead.
    I have glycol in and destilled Water but the fluid in system is
    still so rusty.Why??Nailhead of 54-56 322".
    I have flush the radiator,the cooler for Dynaflow was leaking
    for second time,rusty inlet and exhaust pipes.I wonder when
    i have a leak in the nailhead.Give me some adwise.
    Stubbe in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by stubbe View Post
    Anywone knows why the fluid in radiator is rusty in my nailhead.
    I have glycol in and destilled Water but the fluid in system is
    still so rusty.Why??Nailhead of 54-56 322".
    I have flush the radiator,the cooler for Dynaflow was leaking
    for second time,rusty inlet and exhaust pipes.I wonder when
    i have a leak in the nailhead.Give me some adwise.
    Stubbe in Sweden.
    If the car hasn´t been running for a while that is very well possible, p.e. the crossover and thermostat cover are cast iron.... I would flush the complete system, not just the radiator.
    Greetz from Belgium

rusty nailhead

Quote Originally Posted by cees View Post
    If the car hasn´t been running for a while that is very well possible, p.e. the crossover and thermostat cover are cast iron.... I would flush the complete system, not just the radiator.
    Greetz from Belgium
    Hello Buickfriends.I have drive my 54 for 35 years.Only one sommer in garage.
    Frostplugs is rusty inside about 4-5 years.I have flush the radiator,heater element
    dynaflow cooler,defrost element several times.But the water is still like a mud
    whit water blended.I am worry if the block/näilhead is rusting up inside?
    Always used distilled water,antifreese.Anywone have a solution to this?

Stubbe in Sweden

stubbe,

I think we already had this conversation. Did you remove all the freeze plugs from the sides of the block and dig out the scale and sediment, then flush with a pressure nozzle on a garden hose? Mine had completely covered the rear freeze plugs with sediment. You may never get it to clear up until you do that. Backflush or remove the heaters and coolers also, they will be restricted.

TexasJohn

stubbe

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJohn55 View Post
    stubbe,

I think we already had this conversation. Did you remove all the freeze plugs from the sides of the block and dig out the scale and sediment, then flush with a pressure nozzle on a garden hose? Mine had completely covered the rear freeze plugs with sediment. You may never get it to clear up until you do that. Backflush or remove the heaters and coolers also, they will be restricted.

TexasJohn
    Hello Texas John.But where comes the rust from???I have flushed all hoses,radiator,
    defrost element,under seat heater,dynaflow cooler,The engine is not overtemp when
    driving in 30 celcius in cruiseparad last in Falun on cruise.
    Were come rust from???
    Stubbe.

stubbe,

It is like wrinkles, comes with old age!

It is probably from 20 years of neglect before you got the car. Distilled water should not be necessary unless you have extremely "hard" water or high mineral content. If the sediment and rust was already built up in the block when you got it, it is hard to flush out.

Air in the cooling system will accelerate the rate of rust and corrosion. With each warm up and cool down cycle, air is expelled and then pulled back in. An overflow bottle with a closed system cap may help.....?

If you had a head gasket leaking compression into the coolant it would also alter the balance of the coolant ph.

Check to be sure all your ground straps are secure from the engine to the body and frame. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

Just some thoughts, maybe others will want to give some ideas.

They do market cooling system "test strips" that change color to indicate ph balance and also the various corrosion inhibitor compounds in the coolant. Don't know specific brand. Probably sold at auto parts stores in your area. (edit added here)
    TJ
    Last edited by TexasJohn55; 09-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.

stubbe

Hello again Texas John.Tanks for your letter.The rust must come from someware.
    I wonder if i put som oil from a steelsaw/cooling oil in radiator.Or some basic fluid?
    The bottle to keep overflow are intressted.I will try.Maybe keeps air to get in.
    Tanks for your intressed in my problems.I dont want to have a big leak when
    i am cruising in block or heads become of rust inside Nailhead.
    Stubbe.

rust in block

Over long periods for many reasons rust forms in engines, especially old engines. When it forms rust it flakes off and builds up inside which acts as insulating the coolant from doing its job . I have had handfuls of rust and crud come out of engines. What I do is take out the freeze plugs and blow it out with air and water. I makeup or buy a squirt gun hooked to a water hose with a long piece of copper tubing so it can be bent around inside of the water passages. I have even used one of those bent needle nose pliers and pulled flakes out. Its especially affective if the block is already out of the car and you can roll the block around on a big piece of plywood to shake out the crud.
    Last edited by 39CENT; 09-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.

rust in block

Over long periods for many reasons rust forms in engines, especially old engines. When it forms rust it flakes off and builds up inside which acts as insulating the coolant from doing its job . I have had handfuls of rust and crud come out of engines. What I do is take out the freeze plugs and blow it out with air and water. I makeup or buy a squirt gun hooked to a water hose with a long piece of copper tubing so it can be bent around inside of the water passages. Its especially affective if the block is already out of the car and you can roll the block around on a big piece of plywood to shake out the crud.

rusty coolant

Quote Originally Posted by 39CENT View Post
    Over long periods for many reasons rust forms in engines, especially old engines. When it forms rust it flakes off and builds up inside which acts as insulating the coolant from doing its job . I have had handfuls of rust and crud come out of engines. What I do is take out the freeze plugs and blow it out with air and water. I makeup or buy a squirt gun hooked to a water hose with a long piece of copper tubing so it can be bent around inside of the water passages. Its especially affective if the block is already out of the car and you can roll the block around on a big piece of plywood to shake out the crud.
    If you have that much rust you would need to clean the water passages with bushes and remove core plugs [freeze plug wrong term.] to remove sludge. Best done with motor out of car. Some have put a filter-strainer in radiator hose to preventing plugging of heater and radiator.