Thread: Straight Eight fuel pumps

Straight Eight fuel pumps

I have two fuel pumps stamped 9763 but one has a short arm and the other has a long arm?

On the short arm pump there is a paper tag that says 1953 Buick Series 50 & 70.
    It also has 1954 to 1955 All D/A.

does anyone know what car these fit?

I have a 1953 Special with the Straight 8 and it uses a 9761 pump. I have two of these but think
    they both need to be rebuilt. Where is a good place to get them rebuilt?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

rpmbo

#9763 with the long arm fits the early nailhead engines. I have no clue what your short arm pump fits, but I suspect it is mislabeled. It couldn't hurt to pull the pump off your straight 8 and see how it compares with the short arm pump.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 05-11-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    #9763 with the long arm fits the early nailhead engines. I have no clue what your short arm pump fits, but I suspect it is mislabeled. It couldn't hurt to pull the pump off your straight 8 and see how it compares with the short arm pump.

Ray
    Ray thanks for the info.
    I have the straight 8 pump out and the short arm pump that is stamped 9763 looks just like the one stamped 9761. The difference is that the in and out ports for the fuel lines is perpendicular on the 9761 and parallel on the 9763. It almost looks like when it was rebuilt they rotated the bottom 90 degrees?

If that was the case I could rotated the bottome and have a rebuilt pump I could use? I do not know if I want to take the chance?
    but it is tempting.

Thanks again,
    Bob

Absolutely, you can rotate the housing. I have done this quite a few times. It's best if you have a helper and can hold the pump in a vise. You want to take some of the spring tension off the diaphragm so you can re-insert the screws without having to stretch the holes. This usually takes about three hands, although old Buick manuals showed a special tool that would let you do it with only two.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 05-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmbo View Post
    I have two fuel pumps stamped 9763 but one has a short arm and the other has a long arm?

On the short arm pump there is a paper tag that says 1953 Buick Series 50 & 70.
    It also has 1954 to 1955 All D/A.

does anyone know what car these fit?

I have a 1953 Special with the Straight 8 and it uses a 9761 pump. I have two of these but think
    they both need to be rebuilt. Where is a good place to get them rebuilt?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

rpmbo

Thanks again Ray. Your information has been most helpful..

I am located in KCMO where are you located?

I'm in San Francisco. I have been in KC several times, but I only saw the area around the train station (killing time between trains).

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    I'm in San Francisco. I have been in KC several times, but I only saw the area around the train station (killing time between trains).

Ray
    OK I know about the killling time. The Forty Niners play us this year. I remeber the advice while I am watching them.

Are there a lot of nice buicks out there? They get pretty rusty here.

the one I am working on is ok but I have a donor car that is rusting away from the floorboards up. Its a shame.

Well thanks again maybe I can contact you for my next stumbling block question.

Bob

SF is a pretty good town for rust. It doesn't snow here, so no salt is used on the streets. When I was younger I lived in St. Louis, but it got to where I couldn't deal with the winters any more, so moved here for the weather about 30 years ago. Best move I ever made.

Ray