- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 1967 Buick Skylark 455 engine upgrade questions

1967 Buick Skylark 455 engine upgrade questions

Looking for some help. Bought a 1967 Buick Skylark recently no engine or trans. Have a stock 455 and turbo 400 trans. Bought motor mounts and mount brackets from ta. Work pretty good. Having problem with power steering pump. Bought a 1967 gs340 for a parts car. Pump and bracket seems to sit very high. Tried a couple of belts but all are to short. Even if belt was long enough belt would rub water pump housing at bottom. I know there is somebody else out there who has dealt with this and probably has a answer. Thanks. Long live Buicks.

On swaps like this, you are usually better off using the entire front end setup that goes with the engine you are installing. Try the 340 pump on the 455 bracket first, and if that doesn't work, get a pump the same year as the engine. If you need to do any adapting on the hoses, it will still be a lot less work than cobbling the pump mounting to get everything to line up

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 04-06-2013 at 10:54 PM.

halapeno

Quote Originally Posted by rivbones View Post
    Looking for some help. Bought a 1967 Buick Skylark recently no engine or trans. Have a stock 455 and turbo 400 trans. Bought motor mounts and mount brackets from ta. Work pretty good. Having problem with power steering pump. Bought a 1967 gs340 for a parts car. Pump and bracket seems to sit very high. Tried a couple of belts but all are to short. Even if belt was long enough belt would rub water pump housing at bottom. I know there is somebody else out there who has dealt with this and probably has a answer. Thanks. Long live Buicks.
    I recently installed a 430 into a 67 skylark. i used all the brackets from the 430 from a 69 wildcat, the buick had a 300 previously. I also installed a turbo 400 trans again with the wildcat mount. engine mounts and pads were TA Perf. The trans kickdown on the 400 trans is electric and is mounted on the inside on the throttle pedal on the wildcat, but i havent figured out that part yet....Headers i used TA perf and they dont fit good at all i wouldnt recomend using them, unless you use a hammer on them.Expensive too around 650.00 very poor product but i dont know what else is avaliable.I also installed a 16 inch elec fan with a homemade shroud for cooling, i have not had it out yet [still a ton off snow up here in Canada] but i am hoping it will cool O.K.you can contact me at j.white@sasktel.net I can send you pics and anyanswer any questions i can

Quote Originally Posted by halapeno View Post
    Headers i used TA perf and they dont fit good at all i wouldnt recomend using them, unless you use a hammer on them.Expensive too around 650.00 very poor product but i dont know what else is avaliable.
    Are you saying that the factory 430 manifolds wouldn't work in the Skylark? Or are you saying that you just wanted headers? The difference is important, because there seems to be some disagreement about whether or not the big car manifolds can be made to work for A-body swaps. As you are probably aware, real GS manifolds are hard to come by.

Ray

All good advice thanks

Can't use brackets from 455. Came out of a big Buick. Power steering pumps mounted really low in big cars due to steering box location. A bodies steering box are mounted towards front of cars. I'm sure that's probably common knowledge. Did find another forum talking about power steering bracket mounts for this swap. The aluminum triangle shaped bracket is the same for big and small blocks but the metal brackets are different. Guess the parts place sells the brackets needed to convert from a small block to a big block. Ordered them already. Will let you guys know how it turns out. Keep up the good work. Will also have to figure out the fan shroud but one problem at a time is all I can handle right now. Using stock exhaust manifolds on mine for now. Headers are expensive. By the way 455 is from a 70 Electra. Have set of stage 1 heads that will be installed a little later