Thread: 51 Roadmaster 320 overheating

51 Roadmaster 320 overheating

Our 320 straight is overheating in parades. I noticed in the down hill portion temps are ok, needle in "N" range, However in the slight up hill the temp climbs to "H" range and tranny begins to slip badly. Live in Phoenix, AZ area and am wondering if I can dispense with t'stat and remove all external hoses and replace with hoses that only go to tranny and back to h20 pump????

Under the conditiions you describe, the Dynaflow is definitely putting quite a bit of heat into the radiator. I'm not sure what you mean by "remove all external hoses", but if you are asking about disconnecting the heater and defroster, I don't think that will help very much with the heating problem. Would you consider installing an electric fan or a separate oil cooler that is independent of the engine cooling system?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 03-17-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Another consideration would be an external tranny cooler located in front of the radiator -- either in addition to or in place of the lines that run into the radiator. I agree that the external electric fan would also be na excellent consideration for this problem

fan

Got a fan and will try that but would it hurt if I removed all the heater hoses and only ran two hoses, one to the tranny and the other to the radiator? I will also install a new 160' themostate.

51 over heating

Quote Originally Posted by captbill View Post
    Got a fan and will try that but would it hurt if I removed all the heater hoses and only ran two hoses, one to the tranny and the other to the radiator? I will also install a new 160' themostate.
    Also check your Exhaust Heat valve Body . The Flapper can get stuck . They can stick up on you if you don't lubricate them . Make shure it moves . The heat needs to get out .. Check Radiator .. Good luck