Thread: Fuel sending unit on 67 skylark.

Fuel sending unit on 67 skylark.

Hi! Just installed new gas tank on my 67 skylark. Everythings great except the fuel gauge. I used the old sending unit and float because it was working great. Now gauge reads full all the time. This unit is on side of tank towards front of car, so I don't have to drop the tank to get at it.
    My question is: Could I have turned this unit while installing it and accidentally installed it upside down? Would this cause the gauge to read full all the time? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, don't want to buy a new sending unit if I don't have to.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bob.

Bob,

I think they only fit one way. I think the socket will only accept it one way, but it has been a long time since I had a sender out. It could be an electrical issue or the float could be hung up.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

The screw holes for the tank unit are unevenly spaced, so it will go into the tank only one way where you can get all the screws in.

A break in the circuit will cause the dash gauge to read full all the time. Disconnect the wire at the tank unit and ground it. If the gauge now goes to empty, your problem is either inside the tank, or else the new tank isn't grounded properly. If it doesn't, trace the wire back toward the gauge until you find the break.

Ray

There are no screws in that unit. It has a rubber gasket under it and retaining ring that twists in on top of it. It has something that locates it in the socket, but I cant remember how it is done exactly.

Check the circuit as Ray describes then look into the float if the circuit/ground is OK.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks Ray and Steve. I think you guys are both right about it being an electrical problem. I did put some anti-vibe rubber on the tank, so it may not be properly grounded. Will check it out when I get time and let you know. Thanks again guys!
    Bob.

Thanks again guys! Your advice was right on. My tank wasn't grounded. Put on a ground wire and fuel gauge works fine. Much appreciated. Bob.