Thread: 68 skylark rear window seal

68 skylark rear window seal

the trunk in my skylark is totally rusted out. I can see the gas tank. replacing the trunk pan isn't an issue but how to keep it from happening again is....to my understanding the reason this happens is because the window drainage channels fill up and don't have anywhere to go except the trunk. any custom mods I can do to fix this issue? thankyou in advance for any thoughts on the project

Probably leakig i the lower corners of the rear glass gasket.
    you just have to replace the gasket.
    I just did this with my 64 Wildcat.

You should probably replace the trunk gasket as well.

Most Buick gaskets can be found @ "CarsInc"

Late 1960's GM Cars NOTORIOUS for this.

I have much more experience with Chevys, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs but, I would assume the other GM divisions are similiar - unless a Buick expert can verify. BUT, it's my experience, that late 60's GM products are absolutely NOTORIOUS for this problem. What happens is this - rain water sits in the lower corners of the rear window and eventually causes rust holes in the sheet metal where the glass is "glued" on. I don't think there is a "gasket' for this car but, confirm with a company that manufacturers glass gaskets. It doesn't even take a rust hole to cause a leak into the trunk. The lower corners is where the rear quarters meet the body panel that runs across the bottom of the rear glass and is between the glass and the trunk lid. This joint can allow water to leak thru and drip into the trunk. This joint and the strip where the glass is glued on is UNDER the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the rear glass. You can NOT see this joint until the chrome strip has been removed. WARNING - DO NOT remove this chrome strip until you are absolutely SURE you know what you are doing. These strips are an absolute pain to get back on. There is a special tool for removing the chrome strip and you need to know how to use it. The chrome strip is held on by many individual "clips" that are anchored to a special headed stud that is spot welded around the perimeter of the glass. I highly recommend you going to a salvage yard - finding a car that has had the rear glass removed and really looking at how it is all put together. The only way I know of fixing these type leaks is - 1. Remove the chrome strips. 2. Remove the rear glass. 3. Make PERMANENT repairs to the rusted holes or leaks. 4. Reinstall the rear glass. 5. Reinstall the chrome strips. I have seen people try to stop the leaks with caulk around the chrome strip but, it never works and looks totally ugly. The front glass is the same as the rear glass. I have seen this problem on a 1967 Camaro, 1969 Chevelle, 1971 Chevelle, 1972 Chevelle, 1974 Oldsmobile and a 1970 Pontiac - and others. I have laid inside trunks while someone flooded the rear glass and watched the water come dripping in. This is why I keep GM cars of this vintage ALWAYS INSIDE and out of the weather. Although, I must say that my 1966 Riviera does not leak water into the trunk at all. Maybe Buicks are different - can anyone else help out here??? Hope this helps and doesn't scare you too much. BluesBrothersBuicks

alright. so another question here....the piece of metal that the rear seat shelf sits on is rusted pretty badly what is this part called? and do you know if there is a repair kit available that would include the trunk pan, this shelf support and the sides of the trunk? for a complete repair

thankyou in advance

Package Tray

I don't know the official GM name for the panel that you are asking about but, I always called that the Package Tray. I have no idea whether there is replacement panels for a 1968 Skylark or not. I know there is for Chevelles and Camaros but, beyond that, I do not know. Start checking with companies that carry Buick replacement sheet metal. You might get lucky. If not, then I see only three other choices - 1. Custom make replacement patch pieces and weld in to repair the rusted out spots - 2. Find a non rusted panel from a donor car (This means a southern car - check with CTC Auto Ranch in Denton, TX - they have a bunch of cars - but, they won't be cheap!!) 3. Just leave it alone - this package tray is covered by a piece of cardboard or plastic and you won't see the metal panel below after it is covered. Of course, if this panel is SEVERELY RUSTED AWAY, then there might be a structural challenge with the entire body - you will have to make that call. What do you mean by "sides of the trunk"? When you look into the trunk - there are only two things that you see "on the sides". 1. The rear inner wheelhouse or wheelwell (There's an inner one and an outer one.) This is the rounded thing that's in the "upper corners" of the trunk. 2. The other thing that you see is the actual rear quarter panel. This is the mostly flat panel that's at both ends of the truck pan. This is the same panel that you are looking at when you are on the outside of the car and looking at the area around the rear tire. There's another panel in this same area called a "trunk drop off" but you can't see it by opening the trunk. You can only see it by looking underneath the trunk from the outside (by the rear bumper). Again - I highly suggest you go to a salvage yard and look at some partially disassembled cars of around this vintage. You will learn a lot by just looking into every nook and cranny that you can. Now is a good time to do this - weeds aren't grown up and snakes and bugs aren't out yet - unless you live down south. Good Luck!!! It'll be an adventure!! Blues Brothers Buicks

Reproduction Sheet Metal

A quick GOOGLE search shows several companies that list 1968 Skylark body sheet metal panels - Original Parts Group; Year One; Dynacorn and Goodmark. There are others I am sure. Keep in mind the following: 1. Not all panels are made in the USA. The Made Overseas stuff is not as good. But, it may be all that's available. 2. Not all panels are made from the same original gauge and is more likely to warp when welded. 3. Not all panels are made with the OEM flanges and methods of attachment to the adjacent panel - some are just "skins" (I would stay away from these altogether - unless you like to do a lot of welding). 4. Obviously, OEM NOS panels would be the best. But, you might not be able to find them and if you do, the price will be high. You need to do some research - and talking to people/salesmen - and looking at the various panels being offered out there in the market. Ask a lot of QUESTIONS!!! Good Luck!! BluesBrothersBuicks

I fully agree with all comments listed here. All GM A bodies are principally the same when it comes to the back window problem. You have no clue to the extent of damage until you pull the glass out. You will be truly shocked, it will be rotten in the corners and the rot will run along the bottom of the track toward the center of the car. Be ready for this. You need to have some one who can weld and fabricate sheet metal. You will mostlikely have to fabricate the replacemnt metal. Make sure the person knows what he is doing. I have had to redue many.... half done sorry jobs and it is twice the work. If not done properly your glass will never seat correctly and you will always have leaks, plus it will not look correct which will kill the value of the vehicle. This is the first spot people look at before buying these vehicles. Do your homework, who ever you get try to see their work, that will tell it all. Post pic here and you can get help. This process is much more involved than you realize. It alawys goes from the package tray, (rear window), to the trunk, to the outer wheel well, to the quarter panel, to the trunk extension. Every one I have repaired involved all the above. It is expensive, tidious, and then there is the issue of paint. Most the time you cannot match the paint, so now if you want the car to maintain value, you are looking at an entire paint job. So take all that in concideration and plan your budget accordingly. Many people have been sadly disapointed in the end, just because they were not told all this, and they spent a fortune, and their car looks like crap and they are depressed and unhappy. The brite side is this issue can be repaired!