Thread: My first post!

My first post!

Hi everyone thanks for allowing me to join the group! My very first car was a 70 skylark with 60k miles and sadly I sold it, I'm now 25 and I just purchased a 72 skylark a few months ago! 350 car but I also just purchased a 70 riviera with the original 455 and th400 in it! I just got the motor running on Sunday, not a single knock, ping, or puff of smoke and apparently it had been sitting for over a year! Within the next few weeks ill be pulling the motor and trans to clean them up and reseal them to place in my 72 skylark! Just waiting for it to be a bit warmer as I live in Montana! Anyways thanks for adding me and I hope to help and learn an awful lot here!
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome aboard!

Does that mean the Riviera isn't going to exist any more? The Riv's are fantastic cars, and incredibly comfortable to drive.

Nonetheless, the 455 in the skylark is a lot of fun!

-Bob C.

The riviera will be sold after I take the motor and trans out, the drivers rear quarter and bumper have been smashed pretty hard and the passenger side of the car was sideswiped, good interior though, if someone really likes rivieras they could restore it but it would be pretty expensive body work wise.

ooooh, the 1970 'SF' code motor. that was actually rated higher hp than the Stage 1 ( factory games ) and should have the Stage valves in it. good choice.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob, I'm fairly new to buicks how can I find out more about this motor? I couldn't believe the Riviera had an electric fuel pump! I can just put a mechanical pump on the block for my skylark can't I? Pros cons about this 455?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    ooooh, the 1970 'SF' code motor. that was actually rated higher hp than the Stage 1 ( factory games ) and should have the Stage valves in it. good choice.

this engine will have NONE of the factory block oiling upgrades, the smaller Quadrajet ( 750cfm vs 1972 and newer 800cfm ), the narrow 1/2" dia oil pickup, the blocks are a little weaker and a points ignition.

on the plus side, you've got the small combustion chamber 455 heads ( one year only ), likely with the big valves ( takes up even more space in the combustion chamber, which bumps CR and improves flow at the same time ).

any 73 or newer BBB should have an HEI distributor that you can steal. you can even take one out of a Buick 350 BUT you would have to change the drive gear.

for a 'plug and play' motor, you could hardly have done better.

recommended order of upgrades is
    - distributor recurve and recondition
    - headers
    - modern cam

after that you're into full rebuild territory and will need to plan specifically for your build.

I can just put a mechanical pump on the block for my skylark can't I?

sure. you could also retrofit the lark tank with an electric pump too.

oh, hey, just found a 'new' good page for describing big block oiling upgrades:
    http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Buic...provements.htm
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Sounds like I did a pretty good job then! Especially since it starts at the turn of the key with not a puff of smoke a knock or anything! And I got the whole engine trans and riviera for $450!