From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70 riviera 455 into a 72 350 skylark

70 riviera 455 into a 72 350 skylark

Hey everyone! I am pulling a 1970 455 out of a riviera and wanting to put it into my 72 skylark, what all am I going to need out of the riviera before I get rid of it? Also what all do I need to change? I was told the oil pan from the riviera will not fit into the skylark? Also what about motor mounts and such? Otherwise it seems like a pretty basic swap... Help would be greatly appreciated!

You won't need Riviera parts so much as you will need GS455 parts. However, I would definitely keep the Riviera transmission and all of its associated linkage, as it should have a TH400.

Anyway, the major GS455 parts you will need are the engine mounts, engine mount brackets, and exhaust manifolds. You will need to have an exhaust system made, and possibly a driveshaft, as the Riviera TH400 is longer than the one which would have come with a GS455 (I think). Keep the Skylark transmission crossmember and move it to the rear set of holes on the frame rails. The 455 radiator is different, but I would say try the 350 radiator first, just to see if you have a heating problem. Also, If the Riviera has a rear sump pan, try it first before looking for another one.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 03-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Thank you! How can I tell if it has a rear sump or not? I'll be taking the motor and tranny out together and both will be going back together into the skylark.

Quote Originally Posted by Topher-x-01 View Post
    Thank you! How can I tell if it has a rear sump or not?
    You want the deepest part of the oil pan to be at the rear of the engine. Look at the pan on your 350, and if the 455 pan has a similar shape you should give it a try.

Ray

Yeah it looks like the deepest part is right in the middle of the pan, that means I needs a new pan and a different style oil pump correct?

You will need the rear sump pan and rear sump oil pick-up tube (71 and newer had the larger pick-up tube). Also exhaust manifolds were basically the same for the 400-430-455 for all years. You will just need an exhaust system to your manifolds.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Thanks for the info! Should I just go with headers while I've got the motor out and everthing? I need to disconnect the driveshaft and the motor is ready to come out by the way!

Should I just go with headers while I've got the motor out and everthing?
    My personal preference is not to run headers on a car that will be driven primarily on the street. Reasons are fit, noise, leaks and rust, also spark plug access or plug wire burning on some engines. Now these issues may not matter to you, or you may just "like" headers. In that case, please don't let me talk you out of it.

Ray

Aren't the factory manifolds pretty restricting though? I put some headers on a Chevy truck I had and three years of messing with them they never did seal right...

Aren't the factory manifolds pretty restricting though? I put some headers on a Chevy truck I had and three years of messing with them they never did seal right...
    That's exactly the reason I would want headers on a race car, but not on something I expected to drive every day.

Ray