From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1947 to 1952 Engine Swap

Now that is really strange. It sounds like the transmission input shaft is rusted into either the clutch disc or the pilot bearing. How long has it been since the car was last driven?

Ray

I don't really know for sure but I would estimate over 30 years.

Ouch! Well that explains a lot anyway, except for how to get the thing apart.

You said the transmission is about 3/4" away from the bellhousing. If you hang the engine/transmission assembly with the input shaft pointing down, do you have enough room to get in there and dribble penetrating oil down between the shaft and the release bearing support sleeve? Maybe use a piece of small diameter flexible tubing on the spout of your oil can?

Don't forget to drain the oil out of the transmission before you hang it. Probably a good idea to drain the engine too.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 03-20-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Pete- From my experience removing a manual transmission from a '50 Super that had sat belly down in the dirt for many years, and mice had nested within the bell housing, I believe the clutch driven plate in your '47 has rusted to the front shaft of the transmission. I assume the engine is frozen, and that you cannot effectively depress the clutch pressure plate with the peddle. It may help to get the clutch release yoke out of the way. That helps if you are trying to pry between the throw-out bearing and pressure plate. Also, before you follow through on the idea of hanging the engine and transmission, remove the torque ball (so you can get a grip), put the tranny in gear, and try to turn the shaft back and forth to break up the rust. if you must hang the engine and transmission from the transmission, you need to lift it so the bottom of what you are lifting clears your floor by only an inch or so. And stand well back if you attempt any prying. If it comes apart, you are going to have close to half a ton of iron trying to find a place to be. '51 Special

Quote Originally Posted by ailimac View Post
    Im sorry Ray I didn't make it clear that I was trying to separate the manual trans from the old engine. I removed the 4 tranny bolts and am prying between the trans and the bell housing.
    Pete
    For my understanding,You mean the 4 Bolts from the Bell to the Engine,or the 4 Bolts from Tranny to Bell ? I ask,because between the Bell and the Engine are 2 Bolts from inside the Bell to the Engine. You can only loosen they when you first put out the Clutch and then the Flywheel. Maybe Anybody in the past Time has "forgot" this 2 Bolts then you have now with the Clutch and Flywheel on theyr Place the Problem like you described....only an Idea from me ..
    Last edited by Jenz38; 10-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

51 Special, you out there?

I was wondering if you have the contact info for the guy in Florida who makes the adapter you spoke of (dybaflow crank to 3 speed manual).

Thanks.
    Pete

Pete, does this mean you were able to separate the trans from the engine? If yes, how did you do it?

Ray

Oh yeah, it separated. IMG_2481.jpg After 2 wedges and 20 or 30 wacks with a sledge it finally snapped. IMG_2510.jpg I had to cut the broken end of the trans shaft out of the bell housing with a cut off wheel. The broken end of the trans shaft is still and will forever remain stuck in the clutch. IMG_2518.jpg Oh, I also had to remove the crankshaft to get at the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate because of all the rust. I have the new engine, and the trans is rebuilt, all I need is the adapter to get the manual trans to the Dynaflow crankshaft. Unless I find a manual 263 crankshaft. IMG_2469.jpg IMG_2744.jpg I have some feelers out for the adapter cause I'm told there's a few shops that make them but have not had any responses yet. IMG_2278.jpg I've completed most of the front end so has soon as the engine and trans are ready I can drop them right in. IMG_2732.jpg Pete

WOW! In my entire lifetime of working on cars, I have never seen anything like that. Now I understand why you had to sacrifice the bearing support.

Since you are painting the trans case, does this mean you have already found a replacement input shaft?

Ray

Yes, found another 3 speed and harvested the internals an did the rebuild myself. The spare trans I bought didn't have the bolt holes on the casing for the trans support so that's why I had to swap the internals.