From the Reference Section:
- Common engine dimensions
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1947 to 1952 Engine Swap

Well I got the adapt, and as I expected, it doesn't fit. It could be modified by machining it to fit but then that still leaves me with the problem of the flywheel not fitting the crank properly. Jen has sent me detailed blueprints on having a flywheel made but this would be a very expensive project between having the adapt machined and the flywheel made. So at this point I have made my final decision to just replace the crankshaft with one from a manual transmission car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    I have the same problem, going from dynaflow 263 to manual 248. so far I know I can't use the 263 crankshaft wont work with my manual set up so, I will order the adapter but reading what you post that the manual flywheel wont fit the 263 engine? I really didn't tried the manual flywheel, you mean the manual flywheel will not match the 263 crankshaft holes?

The manual flywheel for the 248 will not match the 263 dynaflow crank. Bolt holes are slightly off and hole in center of flywheel is different diameter. So even if you get an adapter the flywheel won't fit. Only viable answer was from Jen who had a flywheel made. The adapter I bought makes a good paper weight. Having a fly wheel made is very extreme and costly. I'm still searching for a manual 263 crank shaft. They seem to be far and few.

Quote Originally Posted by ailimac View Post
    The manual flywheel for the 248 will not match the 263 dynaflow crank. Bolt holes are slightly off and hole in center of flywheel is different diameter. So even if you get an adapter the flywheel won't fit. Only viable answer was from Jen who had a flywheel made. The adapter I bought makes a good paper weight. Having a fly wheel made is very extreme and costly. I'm still searching for a manual 263 crank shaft. They seem to be far and few.

Have you tried having the machine shop drill new holes or the need it holes to match the 263 dyna crankshaft?

You would need to have existing holes welded solid and then you would be able to drill new holes but that still leaves you with the problem of center hole being a different diameter. There are also two studs that are on the dynaflow crank that need to sit in the flywheel. If you were to try and drill holes for these studs on the manual flywheel you will break through the side of the center hole because there just isn't enough meat on the flywheel.

Alimac-
    If it helps, I believe the most numerous manual transmission 263s are in 1950 Supers. They are far less common that the Dynaflows in those cars, but there were far more '50 Supers made than any other models in the four-year run of the 263. And, of course, don't be discouraged by an engine with terrible exterior appearance. (I got mine out of a car that sat hood-less, and with the manifolds off, for decades. Luckily, the engine was in the car, and the water in the crankcase floated the oil up enough to keep the crank bathed. I could have run it without any grinding. But, if everthing had been rusted solid, the crank likely would have been salvagable.)
    '51 Special

Pictures

http://flickr.com/photos/pete831/ photos of my project.

engine swap

Pete,
    I found a 50 roadmaster engine manual rusty. I cleaned painted installed in car but now the issue its and you might have with the engine you have in the pictures its that the water pump stick out a lot because its different block and the fan will hit the radiator. This will apply only if you had the 248 engine before as I did. so far this its my only issue.

Gus

Well I finally am ready to install the newly ground crankshaft into the 263 block. The crank was ground and straightened. I removed the original crank and bought new bearings properly sized but when I went to install them they did not fit, not even close. Now I'm not sure if the bearings are wrong or the engines not a 263. When I bought the motor I was told it was a 263 from a 52, model unknown. The bearings I bought, and I double checked, are for a 263 1952. The engine number is 5609459-4. I've tried searching for info on the engine number but found nothing conclusive. Can anyone identify engine by the number and verify that it is in fact a 263. I posted under Engine IDs also. Thanks

Pete

sn info

52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC