Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need held no power 62 buick lesabre

need help no power 62 buick lesabre

62 BUICK LESABER need some help started my car today it was running opened the door and the car shut off i have no power inside the car at all radio.domelight
    dash all fuse good no headlights turn key no power,,horn works HELP !!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jr2012; 02-17-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Check battery cables for connection and if good then check fuseable link at starter. HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

cables good,starter link good.still no power checked all fues put test light it fuesbox no power no lights in or out no radio.wipers heater
    *** is up with this car horn works lol

Smile Ground wires

I don't know if this will help but take some jumper cables and try making some new grounds i had an old Buick in which the headlights would pulse bright to dim and back and forth i made a new motor to frame ground and they never did it again. It is possible your battery melted down inside, good luck!

I got no power to key no lights or anything .i am going to get new battrey on monday.iam going to kick my *** if thats it,i tried everthing but battrey
    checked all wires under dash and under hood,the car was running for about 20min then i opened the door and she shut off dead.the car has been sitting since
    oct.when i started it today the battrey was low i had to put it on a charger to get her to turn over but she ran for 20min i would think it charged

did you pull the door jam switch (to the dome light)? that wire goes to the light switch and the ignition switch.
    I just did a complete wiring harnes replace and I had two (one from each of my 64s) light switches that had
    different failures. found a exact replacement on PartsGeek; $19 + shipping. problem solved.

I had the instrument panal out so the trouble shooting was pretty easy. but, you can test the light switch
    by pulling the switch and test all the switch functions by using a hot wire on each of the pigtails (headlights,
    parking lights, etc).

you can remove the headlight switch by removing the pull knob and unthreading the bezel. there's a little
    button on the bottom of the switch that you push and the pull knob comes out. the switch will drop down
    where you can get to all the connections.
    Last edited by WildKitty; 02-18-2013 at 08:36 AM.

i played with the wires going in to the fuse box under the hood the power came on the car started it ran with the door open for 15 min then
    the the car shut off now no power i pulled the wire to door jam some one put a fuse there..i need to fix this i am tring to brake my new cam shaft in but
    i cant get the car to stay running,it got to be a short some place i hate doing wiring

ok think i may have found it on outside under hood going in to fuse box the is two plugs and one black wire next to the back wire is a large red wire
    i played with that red wire i get power is the whole car,,,??? is that wire for the voltage reg..i am going to take it off and try to clean it on tuesday.....i get the car running and then she shuts off could it be the voltage reg ?????????????

1962 buick electra

I had the same problem with my 1962 buick electra.Turned out the back of the fuse box was rustying away.Went to the juck yard and got another fuse box and rewired it Was a job rewiring it but it cured it.Good luck.Bruce.

yeah, i hate to say it, but you're probably better off re-wiring the car.

there's no way that opening the door *should* kill power to the ignition. therefore, you're probably dealing with some severely corroded connections and you may have intermittent shorting where the wiring bundles go into the fuse blocks if the wires got heated up at some point.

electrical looks scary because of all the different wires. it's really not, you've just got to simplify each circuit as much as possible. you've got to have power ( connection to the +12v of the battery ). you've got to have a ground ( often just the iron frame of the car, but iron isn't the best of conductors and an independently run copper ground will always provide a better connection ), or connection to the negative battery terminal. and that's it. you can use jumper cables to cheat power to any part of the car if you need to. if you've got +12v and ground cheated directly to any electrical device on the car and it STILL doesn't work that's because it's actually brokeded.

it will be helpful to have some long jumper wires, a multimeter and a test light if you're going to trouble shoot this.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)