- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 1950 buick super manual trans torque ball adjustment fail!

1950 buick super manual trans torque ball adjustment fail!

Hello everyone,
    I took off the torque ball this weekend of my 50 Buick Super Manual Trans and cleaned up all the parts. Had a friend come over to reinstall it, and we tried to adjust the drag with the wooden dowel and scale per the manual. The issue I'm having is no matter what shim thickness we used, the torque ball is so tight that its impossible to move or turn to line up the bolt holes on the ball/and torque tube.
    Is there something I'm doing wrong? We took it off and put it back on three different times each with different sized shims. After tightening the bolts on the torque plate(4) and then the (2) at the top of the torque ball(per the shop manual instructions with the wooden dowel and scale).....its almost impossible to move. How much force should it take to move it? Should I be able to turn it with my hand to line up with the torque tube bolt holes? I gave up after 3 hours of trying to get the damn thing to have the correct "Drag" as it says in the manual.
    ANY ADVICE FROM ANYONE WHO'S DONE THIS BEFORE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THIS IS THE MOST FRUSTRATING JOB EVER!

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Sean-
    This may not be the best news. I have done this once, on a 51. When it behaved exactly as you have described, I decided that it may be worn out, and substituted a slightly better looking take-off unit I had handy. That one I was able to adjust, and, in use, it does no leak (yet). My replacement is actually off of a '41-'48 Super, and I had to ream out the mounting bolt holes from 7/16 to 3/8. but I simply could not find a usable replacement that is identical to what I had (and you have). Good luck.
    '51 Special