Thread: 1967 gs400 fan shroud??? Should there be one??? Did it come with one????

1967 gs400 fan shroud??? Should there be one??? Did it come with one????

Hey Guys
    I was wondering if 1967 Buick GS400's are supposed to have a fan shroud. I have been able to find information showing a 300 and 340 fan shroud but nothing on the 400. It looks as though Year One and OPGI both make a repop fan shroud for the 300 & 340 in 1967 but no 400. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I'm still trying to figure out my overheating issue.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Yes, they had one, along with a clutch fan.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Mine looks like a direct drive fan & no shroud. Is it possible that they came like that as well?

1967 gs400 fan shroud??? Should there be one??? Did it come with one????

I have a 67 GS400 and the guy I bought mine off of has had many. I asked him the same question as I had a 67 Skylark 300 prior and it had a shroud. He told me the difference is if it was a AC car it would have the shroud and clutch fan, if not then no shroud of clutch. He did say that allot of changes can be made to the car in 45 years or so.

The purpose of the shroud & fan clutch were two fold. The fan clutch helped with the HP loss over a fixed fan as it allowed the fan to not operate on a full time basis & ONLY when extra cooling was needed & with more than four blade fans. The shroud was there to concentrate PULLING more air threw the A/C condenser & radiator for the added cooling. Before the radiator EVER got ANY air it was ALREADY warm from the A/C condenser when the A/C was running.
    Understand???

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I removed my fan shroud and it was a mistake......

I had no idea how important this large piece of plastic is. My temp shot up within minutes after removing it. Reinstalled the shroud and all was well. My issue was a top radiator hose that would collapse under heat. Guess they don't make them like they used to.

I have A/C with a TH400 trans.
    Last edited by Shakadula; 10-10-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something

My issue was a top radiator hose that would collapse under heat. Guess they don't make them like they used to.

did it have the support spring in it? there should be a wire support about the same size as the inner dia of the hose which will keep it from sucking in.

definitely should be one in the bottom hose, i'm not sure if it's oem in the top hose or not, but adding it would be an easy fix.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)