Thread: 57 Buick Door Panel metal bands?

57 Buick Door Panel metal bands?

I need these pieces to attach upholstery but they are not referenced in the body manual for the car and I cannot even find out what they are called as I cannot locate then in any Buick catalogues. I even looked through 5/6/7 Chevy catalogues as I thought these parts may be common to GM but can't find reference to them. Closest I could find is "Door panel metal bands" for 5/6/7 The piece for each door that I am referring to is a "Z" type clip that attaches the upholstery to the cardboard backing then clips over a clip on the door. The piece goes full length on the door and has the triangle type punch outs to grab the upholstery. Does anyone know where I could purchase these or if other GM cars of the era may have similar pieces? I could make the "Z" clip portion of the part but can't make the triangle punch outs that grab the upholstery.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Try & show us what your talking about with a picture or two. I have two '57 parts cars. I & others may be able to tell by a picture more about what you are looking for/talking about.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

I know what you are talking about, but as far as I know there is nobody that make those clips anymore. Most upholstery shops just glue or staple the upholstery to the back of the door panels, so there is no demand for those strips any longer. However, I have found some similar strips used in furniture upholstery shops, and they are flexible enough to follow the curves of a door panel. These are designed to use tacks to fasten to the furniture frames, but could be fastened to door panels using short pop rivets or the two piece type rivets that fasten into each half. These rivets lay very flat and are ideal for door panels, and can be found at most leather and saddle suppliers.
    Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by 57Special View Post
    I need these pieces to attach upholstery but they are not referenced in the body manual for the car and I cannot even find out what they are called as I cannot locate then in any Buick catalogues. I even looked through 5/6/7 Chevy catalogues as I thought these parts may be common to GM but can't find reference to them. Closest I could find is "Door panel metal bands" for 5/6/7 The piece for each door that I am referring to is a "Z" type clip that attaches the upholstery to the cardboard backing then clips over a clip on the door. The piece goes full length on the door and has the triangle type punch outs to grab the upholstery. Does anyone know where I could purchase these or if other GM cars of the era may have similar pieces? I could make the "Z" clip portion of the part but can't make the triangle punch outs that grab the upholstery.

Best Regards,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by 57Special View Post

Thanks for your comments. I was thinking the same thing about just having the upholstery shop attach the door panel with something different. 57 Special

I used plastic pins to hold the door panels to the door frame and just stapled and glued the material to the panel board on my 55 buick.

1955 Buick 115.jpg 1955 Buick 116.jpg
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS