Thread: New member with a question

New member with a question

I have a 69 Skylark Convertible. Love the car but it has a data plate with an incorrect VIN. I did some research and found the "hidden VIN" under the fan motor on the firewall.
    Hoping someone can help me out with the numbers.
    Z19 10227

They seem incomplete to me and I am assuming that 10227 is the production number I am stumped with Z19.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much

Wayne

When you say "data plate with an incorrect VIN" do you mean the VIN tag on the dash or the body tag on the cowl? The body tag on the cowl doesn't have the VIN, just the body number, which is not the same.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/69.php

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/years/69/69_vin.php

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/y...ody_number.php
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

The car is a convertible with a Hardtop VIN. I am hoping that the number I found will link to the correct VIN

the body tag doesn't have the VIN but it will still code the body style ( post, hardtop, wagon, convertible, etc ). it's just not going to have the same last 6 digits ( which is the sequential production designation ) as the VIN. all the other VIN info ( engines weren't coded in the VIN until 72 ) should be on the body / trim tag and should match the VIN.

with the exception of the seq prod #, the trim tag is actually much more thorough for car id purposes.

The car is a convertible with a Hardtop VIN. I am hoping that the number I found will link to the correct VIN

sounds like a factory stamping error. the alternative is that someone switched the VIN tag out with a different car ... but why would you make a convertible look LESS valuable? makes no sense.

unfortunately, the Sloan Museum has no information whatsoever for the 1969 model year so you can't research it through them.
    http://sloanmuseum.com/docs/pdf/aval...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

this means you're going to have to try to track this car back through previous owners, hopefully to the original dealer. and, hopefully, that dealer will still be in business.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

More information in this thread:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...5-VIN-question

Both the VIN tag and the body tag have been switched.
    Sean Smith
    BCA# 42746
    MBCC# 2122
    SAH# 4186
    Buickman Award 2015

1957 Special 4-door Riviera (hardtop) model 43

wow, that's scary.

wonder if the car was a salvage/wreck? or possible that the convertible was stolen with the plates from a hardtop car out of a junk yard so that it could be 'legally' resold without having to worry about a title search coming up on a police watch list?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Just as a point of interest, I know a few people who like to find nicely loaded hardtops, then wack off the tops and put in the convertible gear. They are beautiful full load convertibles when finished and hard to tell the difference. If I were to try and check on such a car, I would look at the frame. Convertible frames are often boxed and often have more frame mounts. You would have to look at a correct convertible frame for your car to start with.

The best story I can pass for one of these cars, and I can't remember exactly what it was, is that one of the guys built a convertible for a year that it wasn't offered on and didn't realize it until questioned at a car show

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!