Thread: 1955 Buick Special - all original - what next?

1955 Buick Special - all original - what next?

I've had my eye on this car for a few years and finally had the opportunity to buy it. It's rough, all-original Texas car. I have a strong urge to get it driveable/legal and enjoy it ASAP, but I'd like advice from you. I want to put together a plan & budget and get it done, but I've got mixed feelings on which way to go with it. An all-out restoration might be the answer, but I WANNA DRIVE IT ASAP! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Mark S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buickfa...7594218766363/

This is the photo history of my 55 Buick Special. Each of the pictures has a detailed explanation so you can see exactly what was done.

I drove my car as soon as I could even though one winter it didn't have a heater and while restoring the dash I hung the gauges with wire.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to call me or email anytime

Jim Carmichael
    253 906 8490 Cell
    buick53fan@yahoo.com
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Driving the car now shouldn't have to adversely affect any restoration planned for the future. First though, you need to thoroughly inspect the car for any mechanical issues which could either make the car unsafe to drive or cause damage to components if not corrected before driving the car.

Areas to be checked should include engine, driveline, suspension, steering, brakes, tires, cooling, fuel and electrical systems.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 12-15-2012 at 07:30 AM.

yeppp....

Dang,,, me and Ray thinks alike.....Yep, you should drive it and thoroughly check everything out... but be very carefull the first time you do,, because the brake cyls. will freeze up on a car that has been setting.... and the brakes will pull to one side, or not work at all.. or leak,,, ect....also watch the oil pressure/temp very carefully.... put new fan belts on it and radiator hoses and heater hoses.... I have seen a bunch of engines burned up because a heater hose busted.....or a bypass hose....take a hard look at the tires for dry rot....

Quote Originally Posted by DocModisett View Post
    Dang,,, me and Ray thinks alike.....
    Well, my excuse is that I am old, and I have liked working on cars since I was nearly new.

Ray

rad. get it sound and drop it to the weeds. drive it. nice score
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

engine & tranny a 'no-go'.... for now

The original 264cid is locked up (can't even get the valve covers off due to rust) and I have a rebuilt '72 402 BBC sitting in my garage (2 bolt, 2.06/1.72 stock oval port/open chamber heads, Holley 770cfm, shorty headers) that I'm thinking about dropping in it while I figure out the 264. This would mean a different transmission than the stock 3-speed... and a different rear-end too, I supppose. Thinking about a 5-speed top-loader and a 10-bolt? Not too crazy about putting a Chevy parts in there... would rather go Buick... I know the 402 is not a high-po engine (240hp truck engine) but the carb and headers should spruce it up a little, and it would just be a temporary deal so I can drive it... I saw somewhere else on this site that there are alot of headaches when installing a BBC in a '55 Special... steering/suspension clearance, engine height, etc. Maybe I should swap the 350 out of the '72 Blazer and put it in the Buick for now....? Trying to figure out what to do, but it looks like a complete drivetrain swap... and a new wiring harness while I'm at it. I figured I'd get a Universal harness from Painless or someone... can't be that difficult, right? Need to get that dang BMW out of the garage so I can get started on the Special!!!