- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: 65 Le Sabre differential swap

65 Le Sabre differential swap

Anyone ever put a 9 3/8 Riviera-Electra differential into a perimeter frame Le Sabre?
    Track seems to be the same. Would need to install track bar and single upper link I see, but any tricks or advice in doing that or other problems I might find would be appreciated. Reason for exercise is still pending 430 install. See posts of early spring.

If you are really determined to use the X-frame rear, it will be a lot less work to adapt it to the 65 suspension than the reverse. In other words, cut all the suspension mounting brackets off the LeSabre rear and weld them onto the X-frame axle housing. The perimeter frame just doesn't have the places where you need to put the mounting points for the 3-link suspension. Find an X-frame car to look at and it will immediately become obvious how much frame modification you would need to do.

That said, do you have any particular reason for not wanting to use a rear end from a 65-up Electra/Wildcat? Or is it just that you already have the X-frame rear and don't want to go looking for another one?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Using x frame diff

I'm installing warmed over 430 eng and feel I need stronger rear end. Ford 9 costs $1500. or so, beef up of 8.25 costs $1300 or so, I have 3 of the Riviera rear ends laying in the yard. Think 30 spline large axles, big pinion, heavy bearing blocks, set up for 425 lbs of torque.
    Actually the center twin upper arm set up has lots of good stuff available for it from the A body crowd, but putting mounting loops on the big housing would be sketchy with my talents.

Additional Thoughts to Diff swap

Ray, You mention LeSabre and Wildcat like they would be interchangeable? My understanding is that when they did the Wildcat they used the Electra Chassis to fit the big blocks, (hence the longer fenders and hood). Electras had the same differential center section as the Riviera, (at least in 68-69) and if I could find one of those it would have the strength I'm looking for. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone wanting to give away Wildcat parts.
    If I get then other wild hair project of putting independent rear suspension in my 68 Riviera, I'll have a 3:42 posi rear end extra.
    My LeSabre was a 300 in V-8 model with the 300ST trans and the drive shaft is about 3/4 the dia of the Rivi. Also the word I've been hearing is the 8.25 rear ends weren't known for being very sturdy. Most of the go fast guys with the GS's have either done major work or swapped them for 12 bolts or Fords.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrerattler7 View Post
    Ray, You mention LeSabre and Wildcat like they would be interchangeable? My understanding is that when they did the Wildcat they used the Electra Chassis to fit the big blocks, (hence the longer fenders and hood). Electras had the same differential center section as the Riviera, (at least in 68-69) and if I could find one of those it would have the strength I'm looking for. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone wanting to give away Wildcat parts.
    I was talking about swapping a Wildcat or Electra rear (they are the same) into your LeSabre. The LeSabre rear suspension is similar to the Wildcat/Electra, even though the rear axle, as you noted, is an 8.2" which is internally similar to the rear in an A-body. The rear you are looking for has a "square" shaped housing cover and two lugs on top for the upper control arms. A Riviera rear won't work.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.