- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ignition / Starter Gremlin!

Thanks Ray.. This thing is a headache because I know it's something stupid!.. Is there a difference between 64 & 65 switches? Maybe I have a 65 switch with a 64 tumbler? Ugh, corvette pushbutton here I come

On the 64 and 65 wiring diagrams, both years' switches have the same number and color of wires connected to them. This does not necessarily mean the switches are identical, but if the wire connector hooks up and makes contact with all of the pins, I would think you are probably ok. I don't believe the lock cylinder should make a difference as long as it goes all the way into the switch housing and latches. However, if you want to run another test, you could remove the cylinder and turn the switch with a screwdriver.

Ray

Your talk about a Corvette pushbutton got me thinking. Since I am not familiar with the setup on modern Corvettes, is this some kind of hand-held remote starting device?

Anyway, what it got me thinking about is this: If you don't mind a really cheap and dirty cobble, you could just wire a separate starter button directly to the "S" terminal on the solenoid and disconnect the stock purple wire. That's what I am running on my car now because I couldn't keep the gas pedal start setup when I installed an alternator.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-24-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Yes, '64 & '65 ignition switches are different. The '64 starts with "Lock" all the way to the left, then "Off", (where you can remove the key) then "On", then "Start". The '65 all the way left is "Acc", then "Off", then "On", then "Start".
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

O.K.. I don't know if this fixed the problem but just for trouble shooting purposes, I ran to AutoZone and picked up an ignition switch for 67 GM cars that had the same switch positions and the pins on the bottom were in roughly the same spot.. I had to grab one of the terminals and rotate it 90 degrees, but with a little tweaking, they all lined up and reluctantly complied with being jammed into the factory plug. Now.. the starter works like it is supposed to and I haven't had any issues, but that's how the other 3 ignition switches started out. I'll keep you posted!.. Something I did notice though, When you put your key in the ignition and turn the key to "on", can you hear a switch or relay power up under the hood? I can... Don't know if that's normal, but it does it with every switch I have tried.

The corvette works on a slick RFID system.. the key fob stays in your pocket and when you get close to the car it lets you open the doors and allows you to start the car with the button.. I miss that setup, since I sold that vette, I have walked away from my truck several times and left it unlocked.. they sell an aftermarket setup for about $550.