Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 66 Riviera GS restoration

Smile 66 Riviera GS restoration

Hello, I have a 1966 Riviera GS w/425 nailhead and dual quads. She is loaded with every option that was offered in 66 including, P/S, P/W, P/B, P/ANT, P/BENCH SEAT, CRUISE, REAR DEFROSTER, A/C, AM/FM, P/L. Her vin# is 494876H932027. Someone removed the cowl tag and I would like to have one made up for her but not sure where I can get the proper option codes. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too bad the tag is gone. It does seem to be nicely optioned. P/S and P/B were standard.

Besides options codes you'll need to figure out the build date for the tag as well.

I can help with some codes but not all. I know you really need them all before you can make the tag. Only the options that needed a provision by Fisher Body will be on the tag. For example something like cruise probably won't have a code but there will be one for the type of seat and power locks.

Are you a member of the Riviera Owners Association? I'm sure all that information and more is available through one of the Tech Advisors. If you're restoring a 66 the $30 annual membership will be well worth it.

Out of curiosity what is the engine Code?

Group 1
    E - tinted glass, X - P/W

Group 2
    K - Manual A/C
    R - Rear Seat Speaker
    T - P/ant

Group 3
    B - R/Defroster

Group 4
    F -Remote Mirror

Group 5
    k - Door edge moldings

By the way, those headrests are a fairly uncommon option. Probably has a reclining passenger seat back as well?
    Last edited by JZRIV; 01-22-2011 at 04:18 AM.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs
    Check Out ROA Right Here https://www.rivowners.org/

66 GS Riviera

Thanks for the reply. Yes I joined the Riviera club. Where would I find the engine code? I believe that there are letters on the front of the motor, either MW or MZ. Hoping to find the MZ making it a factory 2 four barrel early production date motor. About to take off the radiator support so hopefully will have more info soon..............ROB
    Last edited by Eagleautobody; 01-22-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: photos

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleautobody View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I joined the Riviera club. Where would I find the engine code? I believe that there are letters on the front of the motor, either MW or MZ. Hoping to find the MZ making it a factory 2 four barrel early production date motor. About to take off the radiator support so hopefully will have more info soon..............ROB
    Look just behind the the coolant crossover just off center on the passenger side. Its stamped on the block right in front of the valley pan cover. The VIN is a few inches away on the other side of center.

With a serial number around 32k, that might be just bit too early for an MZ since they didn't start offering that option until March of 66.
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs

Smile 66 Resto

I thought I read that early 66 Rivs came from the factory with the 2 four barrel optioon but after March they came with the intake and carbs in the trunk for the dealer to install?
    By the way, if anyone is interested I am going to be selling the Riv when she is completed..............ROB

66 riv gs

Eagleautobody - go to rivowners.org our club is very friendly & helpful. Or, you might try your local dmv. I just hope for your sake this is not a stolen car. Rivguy

Smile

I don't believe it is stolen. I have records going back many years and the vin and title are identical. Plus the owner is a collector with 8 other cars including a 63 Riv that I bought with the 66. His records go back to 1995.

66 GS restoration

Well this restoration is taking on a life of its own. We just separated the body from the frame. New floors are in and we are in the process of coating the frame with POR-15. Motor is rebuilt and ready for installation on the frame. Bodywork is done on her and hopefully will be reassembly will go smoothly.
    On another note just got in a beautiful 48 Buick w/the straight 8 for restoration!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleautobody View Post
    I thought I read that early 66 Rivs came from the factory with the 2 four barrel optioon but after March they came with the intake and carbs in the trunk for the dealer to install?
    By the way, if anyone is interested I am going to be selling the Riv when she is completed..............ROB
    You're making good progress. Thanks for updating. While the body is off the frame you can document the 2 VINS stamped on the frame on the driver side. First is under where the drivers feet would be and the second is farther back near the next to last body mount hole.

What color are you painting it?

The 1966 factory installed 2x4 option wasn't offered until late in the model year starting in March of 1966. Prior to that, it was dealer installed. 179 2x4 cars left the factory that way.

That 48 looks pretty nice already!
    Jason Z
    Near Pittsburgh PA
    66-67 Rivs