Thread: Just Bought a 1972 Skylark!

Smile Just Bought a 1972 Skylark!

So i just bought this beautiful lark. I payed $3,000 for It. I'm about to turn 17 and this is basically my first car. The car is almost all original excluding the wheels and the interior has been redone. It has 79,000 original miles on it. Under the hood is a 350 with a 2bbl carb I believe to be a Rochester? Or whatever comes stock on them. The car runs good but It needs a good tune up. First thing is the car will bog when given to much gas to quick. I'm pretty sure its because of a lack of air. I also checked the spark plugs and they were pretty black which I'm pretty sure is a sign its running to rich? It seems to idle perfectly normal and when sitting if you give it gas it doesn't really bog. I need to figure out how to solve this problem so I can start driving her. I plan on doing an oil change, new plugs, belts, hoses, etc... Please leave me your thoughts on how to solve this problem and any other things i should consider doing to her before hitting the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timmy-Boy; 11-11-2012 at 06:36 PM.

I would rebuild the carb. Pull the tank and change the sock filter and clean the tank. Check the rubber fuel lines 2 into the tank and 2 at the fuel pump. Check fuel pump pressure and points, timing, change plugs. The stalling is likely due to a worn out plunger, this will be in the fee rebuild kit.