Thread: will a 1955 buick master cylinder fit in a 1956

will a 1955 buick master cylinder fit in a 1956

I have a 1956 buick special that my wife has a love hate relationship with and drives everyday,that is until the master cylinder went out and the core has been deemed unrebuildable.I cannot locate one anywhere.Ive heard that the 1955 one will work.I have had no problem finding a 55.I cannot afford the disc conversion at this time.....please help.

As you probably already know, the 56 MC is a one-year-only part. I believe this is because of the suspended pedal setup. If you wanted to use a 55 MC, you would also have to swap the 55 pedal and all of its related linkage parts. This will make a lot more sense if you can find a 55 car to look at.

If a disc conversion is in your long term plans, you could do the disc MC swap now and still keep the drum brakes for the time being. I don't think this would be any more work than the 55 MC swap.

Lastly, it is common practice to sleeve these masters when they need rebuilding. This means your 56 MC should be salvageable no matter how bad it is. The downside is that this is a fairly expensive job, and you can probably do the disc MC swap for less money.

Ray

thank you

we have decided to have it rebuilt and it was sent out today.I was informed by the rebuilder that the reason it was deemed unrebuildable was due to the original rebuilder not having the correct parts so it was sent to a place in virginia who can do the job..thank you for the advise..i certainly appreciate it.