Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 Buick GS400 Overheating

1967 Buick GS400 Overheating

Hey Guys,
    My 1967 Buick GS400 is overheating. I replaced the thermostat and also did a radiator flush still overheating. My next assumption would be the water pump. When looking inside the radiator fill hole it doesn't look like the water is flowing out of the baffles very well if at all. Am I on the right track? Also wondering what brand of water pump I should order/what is the best or should I just order any water from a place like year one or original parts group, etc.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Apart from bearing or seal failure, water pumps almost never go bad. There is no magic inside a pump that you can't see just by looking at it. If you really believe yours is bad, take off the pump and look at the impeller before you lay out any money for a new unit. Unless the impeller has missing or damaged blades or is is loose on the shaft, your flow problem isn't caused by the pump.

Remove the thermostat and see what this does to the way the flow rate looks. If it makes no improvement, you definitely have something clogged somewhere.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.

If you have a/c, you may not have a hd a/c clutch on the fan. After that, I changed out what was a "Desert Cooler" rad for an alumitec and haven't had any more problems.

http://www.chevellecooling.com/

The "Desert Cooler" was probably good when new, but had been installed by a previous owner.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob brought up a very good point. Do you have a fan clutch? When does your overheating occur? Idling, slow traffic, highway speed, hard pulling?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks for all the info & questions guys. To be more specific. Yes I do have a temp gauge in the car. While on the freeway or while the car is moving it will stay at around 180's. if I idling in a drive thrue or at a stop light the temp starts to increase. I'v seen it get up to 220 but will shut it down at that point or put it in park & it will start to cool off. It only does it while idling in drive. I can let it sit in park & it will stay below 190. Not sure how old the radiator is. I haven't had a pressure check on it, but I haven't found any leaks. I haven't tried a new radiator cap. I did replace the thermostat & flushed the system to no avail. The one thing that i know isnt right is that the water flowing out of the tubes that i can see from fill hole are barely flowing water at a trickle if even that. Also NO fan clutch. Its direct drive fan. Any other thoughts with this information?

how old are the hoses?

if they are multiple decades old you can easily have problems with the rubber detiorating. the major problem area would be the hose on the vacuum side of the pump. in operation, the pump vacuum can actually collapse the hose ( which also has a metal support spring in it, which is also prone to rusting away ), cutting off water flow.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

All hoses look new & the spring is in place. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, so it sounds like your overheating problem is only when the air flow and water flow are both at their lowest. When you shift to neutral or park the engine speeds up, increasing the air and water flow, and the transmission is now putting less heat into the cooling system because you aren't slipping the converter.

I am wondering if the cooling system was ever designed to allow for the engine idling indefinitely long when in gear?

Ray

Or maybe the transmission is not going into high stall like it should when idling in gear. I would check the linkage on the throttle arm and make sure it is clicking on and off and sending 12 volts to the trans when in an idle position (engine off, key on - we don't want you to run over yourself).
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Good point Steve. Now that you mention. I'm not sure if its clicking over. I'll check that.
    Thanks Everyone. Your all a great help. I think if I get my radiator worked on & check all the other things you guys suggested my car will run as cool as the other side of the pillow.
    Thanks,
    Josh