Thread: 1966 Riviera - owned for four years now

1966 Riviera - owned for four years now

Hello to all Buick lovers!!!, I bought a 1966 Riviera four years ago. It has the original engine, with what looks like a service replacement Quadrajet. It is Riviera Gold Poly with a black interior. Front bench seat, 425 engine with A.I.R., Turbo 400 trans, Power windows, Power antenna, Cornering lights, PB, PS. It was pretty complete when I got it. I had to find a fan shroud, a turn signal switch and a replacement timing gear cover. So far, I have had to completely rebuild the brakes - all four wheel cylinders were completely frozen in place and brake hoses were clogged shut. Brakes work great now. ALSO - I had to replace the timing cover and timing gears. A hole had developed in a cooling passage - it ate right thru the aluminum - the hole was big enough for me to stick my big finger in it. I replaced the timing gears and chain while I had the entire front of the engine off. The engine runs good and starts good but, I don't like the way it sounds. Can anyone recommend a Nailhead rebuilder in the Missouri - Iowa - Kansas - Nebraska four state area??? My next task is replacing the turn signal switch. At first - the turn signals would work - but, the more I tried them - the less they worked - and eventually quit working altogether. These switches are very expensive - when you can find one. I've seen them up to $525.00 each. WOW!!! I have a new found appreciation for Buicks!!!! The other thing left to do is get the rear ventilation panel off so, I can get to the torsion rods that hold the trunk lid up. It appears that these rods are held in place with some kind of aligning block (metal or plastic??? - I don't know!!). The trunk will not stay up so, I have to use the old broom stick handle trick. Can anyone help me with getting this thing off??? I have removed the screws that I can get to but, I can tell there is something else holding it in place. Anyway, I think it will be a neat car. I can't believe how hard it is to find parts for it but, I also can't believe how many people have told me that the '66 Rivi is their favorite Buick!!! Thanks to all!!! BluesBrothersBuicks

I have found the website:

www.thepartsbin.com

to hold many of the parts to the older cars, some of the parts are OEM stuff. Not killer on the prices either.

VTB

425 66 Riv

Hi, I in Ca. but do sell all the engine parts and my website has all the tech info for rebuilding and repairing all nailheads... nailheadbuick.com When you find someone give them my tech info so the job will get done trouble free.. Russ