Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1953 Buick Special Front Brakes Conversion

1953 Buick Special Front Brakes Conversion

Hello. I have a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop. Among other things, I would like to convert it to either newer drum brakes or disc brakes. Has anyone done this type of conversion on a 53 Buick Special? I have read posts reagrding 60s and 70 Buicks, but not sure that will help me out any. If someone can help me out with info or direction to find info, that would be greatly appreciated. I also saw a 50 Buick called Gangrene. He said he put airbags on teh stock suspension easy as pie. I need to find out how to do that as well.

Thanks and take care.

I think the best choice for most people is a disc conversion like the ones from Scarebird. The cost isn't really all that bad, because all you actually need to buy from them is the brackets and sometimes the bearing adaptors. The rest of it you can do with salvage yard parts if you are on a tight budget

There is no practical upgrade using factory parts, either disc or drum, because the suspension design changed so much on the later cars. You would have to be a pretty good machinist and welder to do the necessary fab work. If you are that skilled, maybe you might want to look at some kind of crossmember swap so you can rid of all the metal bushings and grease fittings, not to mention the original type shock absorbers.

Sorry, but can't offer any help with the bags because all of my projects are drivers and ride at pretty much stock height.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 10-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks. I will look up the site and see what's available. A friend of mine said we could probably slide a 70s chevy frame under this bad boy and be done with it. I am going to have to think about what's next. Take care.

Many years ago on my '55 Buick Special I installed the brakes from a '63 Riv. to the front & rear including the drums. Wasn't all the involved or complicated as I remember. The difference was night & day. I even used the original master as at the time the dual masters were a new thing.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Many years ago on my '55 Buick Special I installed the brakes from a '63 Riv. to the front & rear including the drums.
    Tom, was that part of an open drive conversion, or did you keep the stock 55 rear end?

Ray

I looked up that website and found a set up for my car. It uses Astrovan brakes and rotors from 71-76 Riviera. and it only costs $185! Coolness. Thanks for the heads up.

fvalla

has anybody done a converson on a 56 buick special.

fvalla

has anybody done a converson on a 56 buick special.manuel brakes.

Heres a kit for ya

Quote Originally Posted by roystacy View Post
    Hello. I have a 53 Buick Special 2 door hardtop. Among other things, I would like to convert it to either newer drum brakes or disc brakes. Has anyone done this type of conversion on a 53 Buick Special? I have read posts reagrding 60s and 70 Buicks, but not sure that will help me out any. If someone can help me out with info or direction to find info, that would be greatly appreciated. I also saw a 50 Buick called Gangrene. He said he put airbags on teh stock suspension easy as pie. I need to find out how to do that as well.

Thanks and take care.
    Wilwood makes a disc brake kit that uses stock spindles and is a bolt on kit ,if you ever want to change back to stock you can.I just ordered a kit for my 49 super,spose to be here next week.If you order from summit the kit is cheaper and faster shipping.The kit costs around $700.you get all hardware rotors calibers,brake pads new style bearings,installed with basic handtools.Hope this helps you
    dealbud57

Wilwood

Quote Originally Posted by fvalla View Post
    has anybody done a converson on a 56 buick special.
    Wilwood makes a front brake conversion,useing stock spindels