- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: No Power to Brake Lights

Angry No Power to Brake Lights

I posted a while back and eventually discovered the problem with my tail lights. A mouse had chewed the crap out of them. To top it off the sockets that go into the housing and hold the bulbs were beyond dead. They disintigrated when we tried to remove the housing.

So I replaced the tail light harness, intermediate harness, and paid a pro to do the bulb sockets. I also replaced the brake light switch. When I started this, one brake light would partially light up and I had working hazzard lights. Now I push the brake pedal and nothing happens. Push in the hazzard switch, nothing.
    My dad jumped the tail lights directly from the battery and everything including the brake lights lit up.
    He broke out his volt meter and determined that no power was going to the yellow wire terminal or the dark green wire terminal from the fuse panel harness.

Any idea what could have happened to take it from working to not working?

BTW, the backup lights work, the turn signals work, so does the head lights, parking lights, and the gas gauge.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Stray Buick; 08-01-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    It followed me home. Can I keep it?

What year and model are we talking about here?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    What year and model are we talking about here?

Ray
    Arrg. Can't believe I forgot to mention that. 1968 Skylark GS 350.

My dad/electrical guy found the fuse blown, but in a way that was hard to see without removing it. So the brake lights now work.

My new problem is now just the hazard lights. I hear clicking like they are flashing, but no emergency/exterior lights to accompany the clicking. When first turned on, the turn arrows on the instrument panel light up, then go dark.
    Last edited by Stray Buick; 08-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.

1. Do all of your turn signals work? If not, the hazard signal won't work either, as it uses the same bulb filaments, wiring, etc. Check each bulb from outside the car.

2. If all of the turn signals work, locate the hazard flasher, remove it from its socket, and check for power at each of the socket terminals. If no power at either terminal, look for a bad or missing fuse. This will probably be the same fuse as the brake lights.

3. If you have power on one terminal, jump the socket terminals with a piece of wire and turn on the flasher switch. The turn signal switch should be in the center position. All of the turn signal bulbs should light, but not blink. If the lamps light, replace the flasher. If they don't light, check the hazard switch and the wire between the switch and the hazard flasher (brown, I think, but I couldn't find a 68 wiring diagram to be certain).

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 08-03-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    1. Do all of your turn signals work? If not, the hazard signal won't work either, as it uses the same bulb filaments, wiring, etc. Check each bulb from outside the car.

2. If all of the turn signals work, locate the hazard flasher, remove it from its socket, and check for power at each of the socket terminals. If no power at either terminal, look for a bad or missing fuse. This will probably be the same fuse as the brake lights.

3. If you have power on one terminal, jump the socket terminals with a piece of wire and turn on the flasher switch. The turn signal switch should be in the center position. All of the turn signal bulbs should light, but not blink. If the lamps light, replace the flasher. If they don't light, check the hazard switch and the wire between the switch and the hazard flasher (brown, I think, but I couldn't find a 68 wiring diagram to be certain).

Ray
    Thanks for all the help. It's really appreciated.
    All the turn signals work.
    So I may just try and replace the flasher and see what happens. I think what is in there is the original.
    If that doesn't work, I now know what else to check.
    Last edited by Stray Buick; 08-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Buick View Post
    I posted a while back and eventually discovered the problem with front page my tail lights. A mouse had chewed the crap out of them. To top it off the sockets that go into the housing and hold the bulbs were beyond dead. They disintigrated when we tried to remove the housing.

So I replaced the tail light harness, intermediate harness, and paid a pro to do the bulb sockets. I also replaced the brake light switch. When I started this, one brake light would partially light up and I had working hazzard lights. Now I push the brake pedal and nothing happens. Push in the hazzard switch, nothing.
    My dad jumped the tail lights directly from the battery and everything including the brake lights lit up.
    He broke out his volt meter and determined that no power was going to the yellow wire terminal or the dark green wire terminal from the fuse panel harness.

Any idea what could have happened to take it from working to not working?

BTW, the backup lights work, the turn signals work, so does the head lights, parking lights, and the gas gauge.

Thanks in advance.
    Check whether battery connections are right or not?
    Last edited by Brandonking; 10-30-2012 at 11:54 PM.