- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: any option for a newer style starter to replace my original on my 52 263

any option for a newer style starter to replace my original on my 52 263

Curious if anyone new of any options to replace my old worn starter on my 52 special with a 263.justdidnt know if there was anything else that would bolt up that might be alittle.cheaper than getting mine rebuilt.dont know how well the engine in my car is so didnt really want to spend abunch of cash to see if it would turn over and fire.engine is free and seems good but car has been sitting for 47years.

Yeah, it's me again, but this time you are in the right place.

Did the starter die from trying to revive a 47 year old corpse, or was it already bad when you got the car?

The bad news is that there is no 12V starter off of anything that will work on a stock Buick straight 8. The good news is that this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Most people just run the original 6V starter on 12V and it works fine. That's what I have on mine. For normal starting duty it will last practically forever, except that you will eventually have to replace the solenoid with a 12V one. However, this probably isn't a good choice for trying to start an engine that has sat for 47 years and has already killed one starter. Any rebuilder can assemble a 12V version of the straight 8 starter, but I can understand you not wanting to spend the money if you don't know whether the engine is any good.

Let me state the obvious first, just in case it isn't obvious. If the car has a manual transmission, your problem is solved. Just push or tow it and you can crank the engine for as long as you need to. Theoretically, this is possible with a Dynaflow too, but a Dynaflow that has sat for 47 years could very well be in worse shape than the engine. In fact, a bad Dynaflow could be the reason why the car was parked 47 years ago. However, even with a Dynaflow I think I would still try towing the car just to see what happens. You really haven't got that much to lose. Before attempting this, don't forget to check the oil level in the both the engine and the Dynaflow.

Hopefully, you won't try to start the car on 47 year old gasoline. Rig up a temporary can in the engine compartment and run a hose from the can to the inlet side of the fuel pump. For the first try, disconnect the metal line from the carb inlet and crank the engine just long enough to pump out whatever glop is in the line. Old Buicks are good for this because you can take off the hood and see what is happening with the engine from behind the wheel. Leave the ignition switch off for this first test so you don't start a fire. In a perfect world, you would clean the gorp out of the carb too. I am just throwing that out as a suggestion.

Once you are getting fresh fuel to the carb, reconnect the line and you can try starting the engine in earnest. Whether it starts or not, check for oil pressure and discontinue cranking if no pressure or if you hear any really bad noises coming out of the engine.

If you have a Dynaflow and it really won't crank the engine, pull the starter out, open it up, and post back here describing what you see inside it. It might be an easy fix, because you can still get normal wear parts like brushes and bushings and they don't cost very much. If the commutator is badly burned or if you find little blobs of melted solder in the case, you can save it with an armature from a different starter as long as your drive housing is still serviceable. This is what the rebuilders do when they get a really bad one in.

Ray

I have a 53 Special and use a GM Performance (part number 12361146) 9 sprocket starter. My car is converted over to 12 volts though. The starter will bolt right in if you want to give it a shot. Be careful, cause if it's not done right you could damage your flywheel.

Brooklyn53, that is an aftermarket Chevrolet starter. It bolts to the adaptor plate on your Bendtsen's transmission conversion. It will not bolt to a stock straight 8 manual bellhousing or Dynaflow adaptor.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...61146/10002/-1

Here is a stock Buick starter. Notice how the mounting ears are situated.
    http://www.rpmmotorsportsmn.com/serv...3-BUICK/Detail

Ray

That and those gm mini high torque staryers are like 250.00 i can rebuild mine for.less than that.maybe ill just rebuild.mine i can get brush kit and.bushings.for.it for.like 10bucks and.the gear is like 35. The seloniod is the expensive part thats lime 80 bucks for a stock style one.armature looks to be.ok took ot.off and it will spin just acts like it doesnt.have enough power to turn over motor.motor is free and.not stuck..tranny problem might be why car was parked years ago clutch pedal is all the way to the floor but car goes into nutral and. Into gear.put.in gear and spun motor by hand and rear wheel spun so we will see.good thing it sat in texas all its life and not here in nebraska.

Any idea what starter they use to swap out the amature with.mine looks ok but just curious..and if tranny is bad what options are out there for replacements.

Good point Ray.

As Ray stated, my 53 Buick Special has a Chevy 200-R4 automatic transmission with an Bendtsen's adapter. Which in turn, allows me to run a Chevy mini starter.

Toolman, your car is sounding better all the time. If you have a manual transmission, this means a whole lot of potential Dynaflow problems you won't have to worry about.

Don't be too quick to think your transmission is bad. If the clutch pedal stays down on the floor, check the clutch linkage first. Most of the linkage is exposed and relatively accessible. To see the rest of it, remove the bellhousing bottom cover. In case the transmission really is bad, you want one from a 48-52 Super or 48-53 Special for a direct interchange. Basically similar transmissions were used on various models of Buick, Olds, and Pontiac from the mid 1930s until 1955, and a lot of them were made, so most of the internal parts aren't terribly hard to find.

Once you get the clutch sorted out, you can try pushing or towing the car to start the engine. Remember, it's not going to want to run on 47 year old gasoline.

When you get the engine running, then you can go back to working on the starter. From your description of the armature, I don't think you are likely to need a new one. Any rebuilding shop can test the armature in case you have any doubts about it. In the event you really do need a new one, I don't know what other make is a direct interchange. The way to find out is to bring your old one with you so you can match it up. You want the shaft to be the same length where the drive goes. I would start with 6V Chevy armatures since they are the most common and use the same starter drive as the straight 8 Buick.

Ray

Score for.me just picked up a complete 52 four door from a swap meet today.old guy parked it 35years ago cause the engine started to have alittle knock.just bought off of lictures but can a guy go wrong for 300bucks. Complete car all trim and everything.will have me another starter to mess with .its a good day.just dont see those buicks around here.so scab the parts i need/want and will post the rest here forsale on classifieds.unless i decide i cant part with it..and no was not going to try to start it with old gas .the old gas tank is just tangleing there.car was sunk in the dirt to floor boards so its a good possibility that linkage might.just be stuck.