Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 55 Buick resto mod

55 Buick resto mod

Well, I mocked up the new engine today. It fits suspiciously well.... aka too good to be true. I have her leveled with jack stands, now level the engine in the bay and measure for mounts. Unfortunately, they need to be about 5 inches behind the stock mounts which is about 5" behind the cross member. I need to pick up some more 3/8 flat bar for fab. Now that I'm sure it's going to fit easy enough, I'll release the details. No offense but I've seen enough small block chebby, so I'm going small block ford. I have an 87 ford 302 with 6k miles on the rebuild. Holley 600, HEI dist, and c4 metric with OD. Im going to hit up pull a part for a ford 8.8 rear. I will post some photos soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wndsofchng06 View Post
    Well, I mocked up the new engine today. It fits suspiciously well.... aka too good to be true. I have her leveled with jack stands, now level the engine in the bay and measure for mounts. Unfortunately, they need to be about 5 inches behind the stock mounts which is about 5" behind the cross member. I need to pick up some more 3/8 flat bar for fab. Now that I'm sure it's going to fit easy enough, I'll release the details. No offense but I've seen enough small block chebby, so I'm going small block ford. I have an 87 ford 302 with 6k miles on the rebuild. Holley 600, HEI dist, and c4 metric with OD. Im going to hit up pull a part for a ford 8.8 rear. I will post some photos soon.
    Well, that's interesting. Look forward to the pix.

No offense but I've seen enough small block chebby, so I'm going small block ford.

huh.

322 Nailheads are more common than 302 Fords? i'd have never guessed.

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    No offense but I've seen enough small block chebby, so I'm going small block ford.

huh.

322 Nailheads are more common than 302 Fords? i'd have never guessed.

smart a** LOL but honestly the nailhead is super expensive, already had the 302 sitting here and its definitely less common than SBC.

yeah, the "I've had it sitting in the corner for two years" is a pretty damn powerful reason to justify putting non-Buick power in there.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Do I sense sarcasm Bob? HA HA HA I have the 264, complete motor if you want it.. air breather, plug covers, all there. Lower end spins free, couple valves are stuck. $200 :-) To each their own I guess. I had one with the original nailhead.... no complaints..... trans sucked though.

nope, last post was dead serious.

that 264 offer is ... intriguing as well.

the Nailhead engines have forged cranks and the same bore spacing as a BBB ( 400 / 430 / 455 ). a couple of people have fitted adapter bearings ( mains on the Nail crank are significantly smaller diameter, reducing bearing speed at a given rpm ) and plopped Nail cranks into the BBB. for rules purposes, the 264/322 stroke works out to an intriguing displacement in circle track if you put it into a 430 block. ( wheels are spinning )

right now i'm trying to hunt down a cast iron 4v 300 though. quite a bit harder to find than 264/322 Nails, it seems.
    Vladimir Lenin

4 valve?? never heard of it... what was it in?

heh, no.

on these here old timey boards, "4v" is an abbreviation of "4 venturi". that's an alternate way of saying "4 barrel carb".

i'm looking for a 1965 hi-po 300ci engine. the 1964 engine had aluminum heads and intake. the 4v applications in 1966-67 were taken over by the 340ci which has a taller deck, so 340 intakes are wider. it's basically a needle in a haystack.

i think the alum 215ci v8 in the 1951 Le Sabre concept car was an OHC, 4 valve per cylinder deal but it was obviously quite some time before GM put something like that into production.
    Vladimir Lenin

LOL Gotcha! cool deal.