Thread: Hello from NC, 55 buick special

Hello from NC, 55 buick special

Hi all!

I am excited to begin work on my 1955 buick special. I had one through college and like a fool, sold it. Here I am, found another, paid more this time cuz "i had to have it". She's got 45k miles, locked up 264 nail head and a dynaflow automatic. The interior is workable and the body is pretty solid except the hood.

Looks like we are starting our '55 Buick rebuilds at the same time. We should keep track of our progress on here - it might be fun to see how the two builds compare side-by-side as they move along. What style of rebuild are you doing? Full restoration, restomod, mild custom, wild kustom, hot rod, survivor, etc.?
    James and Emily, with:
    Trudy, our 1955 Century Riviera
    Buford, my 1970 F100 powered by 455 Buick

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy55 View Post
    Looks like we are starting our '55 Buick rebuilds at the same time. We should keep track of our progress on here - it might be fun to see how the two builds compare side-by-side as they move along. What style of rebuild are you doing? Full restoration, restomod, mild custom, wild kustom, hot rod, survivor, etc.?

I guess resto mod.... hiding a newer drivetrain under the car, keeping it stock looking on the interior and exterior. How about you?

Probably mild custom. I would really like to replace the Dynaflow with a modern A/T, but that means converting to open drive, which means completely changing out the rear suspension. Once you go that far on the chassis you might as well go all-out with new engine, front suspension/steering, and disc brakes as well. It'll be a long time before we can dig into it that much, so stock drive train it is for now. In the short term I'll at least replace the points with an ignitor, and swap the generator for an alternator. Then will come dual exhaust with glasspacks. I'd like to nose/deck/shave, french the headlights (or at least replace the chrome bezels with painted), french the antenna, hide the gas filler, etc. but it'll take some convincing to get permission from my lady to do all that. She and I both prefer the '56 ventiports to the '55, so we'll think about doing some kind of mod there. Leather and vinyl seats get scorching hot here in the summer, so we'll do those in cloth. Custom color scheme inside and out. The wheels I'm undecided on - I'm partial to spoke wheels that you see on the convertibles a lot of the time, but will consider other options. White walls for sure.
    James and Emily, with:
    Trudy, our 1955 Century Riviera
    Buford, my 1970 F100 powered by 455 Buick

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy55 View Post
    Probably mild custom. I would really like to replace the Dynaflow with a modern A/T, but that means converting to open drive, which means completely changing out the rear suspension. Once you go that far on the chassis you might as well go all-out with new engine, front suspension/steering, and disc brakes as well. It'll be a long time before we can dig into it that much, so stock drive train it is for now. In the short term I'll at least replace the points with an ignitor, and swap the generator for an alternator. Then will come dual exhaust with glasspacks. I'd like to nose/deck/shave, french the headlights (or at least replace the chrome bezels with painted), french the antenna, hide the gas filler, etc. but it'll take some convincing to get permission from my lady to do all that. She and I both prefer the '56 ventiports to the '55, so we'll think about doing some kind of mod there. Leather and vinyl seats get scorching hot here in the summer, so we'll do those in cloth. Custom color scheme inside and out. The wheels I'm undecided on - I'm partial to spoke wheels that you see on the convertibles a lot of the time, but will consider other options. White walls for sure.

Sounds sweet. I've not thought that far ahead yet.

New 1956 Restoration Project

Hi guys,

I've started my restoration project on a 1956 Buick 4dr Special...I've contemplated all the things your talking about...but the Buick nailhead has a great combustion chamber that generates some of the best low end torque to be found...after all the research I did...i decided to rebuild my 322 engine and rebuild the dynaflow transmission all at the same time...I couldn't be happier...I pulled the motor and began disassembling it fours days after picking the car up down in Texas/Oklahoma and driving it back to its new home in Michigan. There isn't much in aftermarket performance parts for these cars, but visit www.nailheadbuick.com or Visit Tom Telesco here on the forum...these guys have expert advise on these motors...well wish you guys the best....

Sincerely
    Perry

cool thanks!

Good to see I'm not the only one in this state with one. Mine is a lil rougher though
    There goes the neighborhood!

cool are you posting your progress on here?