- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 455 roller rockers ??

455 roller rockers ??

Im looking for a set of roller lifters for my 455 I know TA perf has them but looking for a cheaper way to go any ideas out there

Quote Originally Posted by crash32301 View Post
    Im looking for a set of roller lifters for my 455 I know TA perf has them but looking for a cheaper way to go any ideas out there
    The thread is entitled Roller Rockers and your post says Roller lifters.
    Which one do you need?

Paul

Lifters my mistake on post

Im looking for roller lifters

Im looking for roller lifters
    OK. Roller lifters are only used on roller camshafts.
    TA Performance are the only ones that have cam blanks for BBB roller cams and as a result are the only ones that have BBB roller lifters.

If a person absolutely had to use a different roller lifter then they would either bore or bush the block to fit a different lifter.
    Not recommended on a BBB factory iron block as the lifter bore is marginal already.

Please give more details on your situation.

Paul

I'm getting ready to build a 455 for my skylark and i would like to run the roller lifters to help with reducing the pressue on the valve train with the high lift cam I would like to run , the car is going to be a cruzer not a drag car but I want to have that real nice loaping sound at idle, $2300 from TA (roller rockers, roller lifters and cam) is just to much for me , I just thought I would pick some brains and find out what maybe could be done on a buget

I'm getting ready to build a 455 for my skylark and i would like to run the roller lifters to help with reducing the pressue on the valve train with the high lift cam I would like to run , the car is going to be a cruzer not a drag car but I want to have that real nice loaping sound at idle, $2300 from TA (roller rockers, roller lifters and cam) is just to much for me , I just thought I would pick some brains and find out what maybe could be done on a buget
    This has been an ongoing source of frustration for many trying to budget build a BBB. Here's the problem.

If you want an engine that has high horsepower and reasonable street manners you need port work
    with a high lift short duration camshaft as you apparently already know.
    The factory rocker arms are not reliable beyond .500 lift and the fast ramp rates needed for the job are best handled by roller cams.

If you decide on porting the factory iron heads, unless you are going to do it yourself, it far more cost effective to buy aluminum heads that have many advantages over the iron heads. Most don't have a local shop that will port the factory heads so they have the added cost of shipping 2 chunks of cast iron both directions across the country.

At this point the Edelbrock head seems to be the cheapest option especially since they use the inexpensive Chevy roller rocker.
    Many have gone this route with good success providing they purchase them from a shop that does the set-up and eliminates any quality issues.

The downside with the Edelbrock head is they use pushrod guide plates and the pushrods don't line the rocker arm center to the valve stem.
    Because the pushrod and valve are not lined up, the rocker has to sit slightly sideways, and a full roller rocker will not run true on the valve,
    unless everything is lined up (Pushrod, rocker pivot point, valve). This mis-alignment is the reason for the requirements of using guideplates and hardened pushrods.
    The result is a very noisy valve train. (Paraphrased quote from JW)
    The compromise is to remove the full roller rocker, and go to a roller tip stock Chevy rocker with the ball trunnion but that defeats the original purpose.

The last and most expensive option is to go with the TA heads and roller valve train which is beyond your budget and a lot of others.
    IMO the reason for going to the TA Heads is to use the Stage 2 version which cost about the same as the TA Stage 1.
    It has a performance advantage over the Stage 1 heads and it also provides much more clearence for headers.

I hope you didn't mind my sharing what a lot of others have gone through and I hope this was helpful.

What cam are you looking at using?
    Where you planning on any port work?

Paul
    Last edited by pmuller9; 09-25-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Im looking for a cam that comes on below the 2000 rpm range and up to 5500 rpm range with out adding a lock up convertor and being able to run my disc brakes with out a vacum add on's I was planning on doing some port work on my cast heads, and running a edlebrock alunium manifold and thorley headers and a tricked out Q-jet that a friend of mine did , this has been a work in progress for almost 2 yrs now buying pieces and parts as I find them and can afford them , My block is a 71 455 that has been boared .030 over and my heads are off the same motor scored these from a local machine shop , since they where never picked up and paid for after the work had been done . Like I said I have all the parts to get put together I even have a TA112 cam brand new in the box but the specs on it are a little better than stock and I really want to go to a different one, what you said about the offset of the pushrods and rockers make sense and i can see how that would cause some problems

Im looking for a cam that comes on below the 2000 rpm range and up to 5500 rpm range with out adding a lock up convertor and being able to run my disc brakes with out a vacum add on's I was planning on doing some port work on my cast heads, and running a edlebrock alunium manifold and thorley headers and a tricked out Q-jet that a friend of mine did , this has been a work in progress for almost 2 yrs now buying pieces and parts as I find them and can afford them , My block is a 71 455 that has been boared .030 over and my heads are off the same motor scored these from a local machine shop , since they where never picked up and paid for after the work had been done . Like I said I have all the parts to get put together I even have a TA112 cam brand new in the box but the specs on it are a little better than stock and I really want to go to a different one, what you said about the offset of the pushrods and rockers make sense and i can see how that would cause some problems
    The TA 212 meets all your requirements. It provides a wide power band in the range you specified and has just a very slight lope at an idle.
    The TA 212 cam works best with compression ratios between 9 and 9.5 to 1.
    If you polish the combustion chambers it will decrease the chance of detonation.

You may have seen this article. It has good info on a combination similar to yours.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s/viewall.html

The lift is moderate and will be ok with factory rockers.
    You talked about roller lifters so I just want to comment again that roller lifters can only be used on a cam that is designed and hardened for their use.

What pistons are you planning on using?

Paul

Great article and yes it's about what Im looking for . as for pistons I have sealed power 0.030 over dished type or stock style pistons they were included in the parts from the machine shop