- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: please help on info about a 1967 buick electra 225 430 with smoke issues

please help on info about a 1967 buick electra 225 430 with smoke issues

Hi Im new to all this and love classic cars and a guy on my jobsite wants to sell me his 1967 225 with a 430 in it because he is in a pinch BUT I dont know enough about it to know if I should buy it!! The body is mint, new paint, new interior and soft top, new tires, new brakes and he drives it all the time but it is smoking under the hood and out the drivers side exhaust and a little even through the interior vents if he hits the gas hard! He says all it needs is new rings but Im afraid its something worse like head gasket or who knows, seeing how I know very little about a 430! If someone can PLEASE share their knowledge with me I would appreciate it!!

It sounds like you could have several issues here.

Smoke coming out of the exhaust could be rings, valve guides or valve stem seals. Smoke under the hood could be blowby (because of bad rings) overwhelming the PCV system, or maybe the PCV just isn't working properly to begin with. Another source of underhood smoke is an oil leak dripping onto an exhaust manifold and burning. Smoke coming out of the interior vents could be underhood smoke leaking into the fresh air system through holes which shouldn't be there.

If you really want the car and don't feel qualified to diagnose its problems, spend the bucks to take it to a shop which does pre-sale evaluations. Naturally, don't pick a shop which the seller recommends, and if the seller won't let you take the car to a shop at all, walk away and consider yourself fortunate.

Ray

I was thinking there could be more but wasnt sure, the car is beautiful and he will sell it to me for 5 grand but I dont want to buy a money pit! I think the little smoke under the hood is oil burning off due to the fact it looks to me it dripped down from the top of the screw cap but there is still a build up of oil underneath the motor but doesnt drip on the ground at all and he told me it was just rings but like you said (which I had no clue) there could be more problems! I just am really in a toss up if I should buy it for 5K due to the potential issues! Is a 430 rather expensive for parts?? I really appreciate your knowledge and I will listen to any recommendations anyone has on what to do?

If there is ANYTHING else that can help me out I would greatly appreciate it! Not familiar with the 430 and I dont know if parts are hard to find or very expensive and the rareity of it! Is it common to have problems with this engine with oil leaks or smoke?? If perhaps it was just the rings would that be worth buying the car or do you think that there are more problems? Any info is GREATLY appreciated because after reading alot of your guys' posts to other people it seems like Im asking the right people because you guys have a ton of valuable knowledge and know your stuff!! Thanks to Ray and anyone else who is willing to throw me suggestions, much appreciated!!

even if you have issues with the 430, the Buick 455 would be a drop in conversion, they're the same externally. 430 / 400 production ran from 1967 to 1969 and then all Buick big blocks went upsize on the bore for the remainder of the production run ( 455 ) from 1970-1976.

Is it common to have problems with this engine with oil leaks or smoke?

many, MANY old engines use rope seals for both the front and rear mains on the crankshaft. needless to say, rope doesn't actually tend to seal liquid tight very often.

fortunately, there are neoprene gaskets which can be substituted at both ends of the crank for any BBB.

Im afraid its something worse like head gasket

there are chem test kits for combustion gases in the radiator which can be purchased at any reputable auto parts store. testing requires 60 seconds or so and is a straightforward color change.

also, this is an all cast iron engine. usually, if you've got a bad gasket all you're in for is a gasket replacement. cast irons heads don't normally warp unless the engine has been REALLY scorched. in which case, the cam bearings can get melted out of it.

i would suggest taking an oil sample and sending it to an analysis place like http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
    you may have an analysis place more convenient to you.

they can tell you if you've got bearing, piston or block material in the oil.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

What is the color of the smoke? How does it smell? (burned engine oil?)
    Would like to add another option: ATF squirting out of the filler tube (if dip stick isn't in place) on the exhaust also will cause smoke coming in through the vents.
    Rob
    68 Wildcat Custom 2dr
    69 Electra 225 Custom 4dr
    71 Electra 225 Custom 2dr
    72 Estate Wagon
    73 Riviera
    75 Riviera GS

Sounds to myself that it's time for an engine rebuild. Buick engine parts are no harder to find than any other engine parts although usually more expensive. A rebuild should be handled by someone who KNOWS Buick engines. The harder parts are exterior/interior parts & pieces. So the more complete & in good condition are a plus. Depending on who you use & where you end up getting parts the cost will usually be, on the low side, $2500.00 or so. It can only go up or down from there depending on how much you may what to get involved/experience. This & other forums are great for info on how to accomplish some of these tasks, & also a place to be able to perform these tasks. I don't know why more people don't post where they are from???? Could be some members are close by & willing to give a hand.
    Just my 2 cents.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts