- 1955 Wiring Diagrams
- 1957 Wiring Diagrams
- 1964 Wiring Diagrams
- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: 1966 Riviera GS cornering lamps wiring HELP!

1966 Riviera GS cornering lamps wiring HELP!

Buick braintrust - I need your help AGAIN!

After a considerable search I came across NOS corner lamp bezels and near NOS quality lenses for my car.
    My Riv did not come factory equipped with this option but I think it looks so much better on the car and the lit corner lamp should be very cool at night (if I can get them to work).

I have read the wiring diagrams in regards to the standard steering column 6 pin electrical block versus the 9 pin for the corner lamp option.

What needs to be done to convert the standard column wiring to the corner lamp wiring? Does the turn signal switch or that block need to be replaced?
    The pigtails off the front parking lamp for the corner lamps are in tact.

Thanks!

I have never had my hands on one of the turn signal switches with for a car with cornering lights. However, on the non-CL TS switch, the switch, the wire inside the column, and the connector at the bottom of the column are all one assembly, so I would expect the TS switch with CL to be made the same way.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.

I also have a 1966 Riviera with Cornering Lights

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    I have never had my hands on one of the turn signal switches with for a car with cornering lights. However, on the non-CL TS switch, the switch, the wire inside the column, and the connector at the bottom of the column are all one assembly, so I would expect the TS switch with CL to be made the same way.

Ray
    I also have a '66 Riviera and I have had problems with the turn signal switch. (It worked intermittently). What I have been able to find out is: 1. Your favorite parts store will not have a replacement. 2. The people working behind the counter will have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. They will think you are looking for a newer type turn signal switch that is in the "head" of the steering column. They won't seem to fathom a switch that's behind the dash and on top of the steering mast. (HUH!!!) If you find someone who does understand - then always talk to them and not the other - let's say "inexperienced" sales people (and I am being extremely polite). 3. This switch is very similiar to one for an early 60's Chevy - but, I have been warned - IT WILL NOT< NOT< NOT work!!! 4. If you can find a '66 Riviera switch for sale - the latest going price I have seen is $400.00 - $500.00. Yes, that is correct, four to five hundred dollars!!! 5. I have even checked with a manufacturer of turn signal switches - SHEE MAR (sp???) - and they don't have it!!! 6. Yes, the 9 pin switch is for the cornering lights. I would look at your switch and see if the 9 pins are there and if nothing is wired to three of them. If you have the 9 pin switch - you should be able to wire your cornering lights to the three extra pins. I am not an electrical guy - I hate wiring. I suggest you find someone highly capable and able to read wiring diagrams and see how the cornering lights are wired. From the factory - It's probably just a separate individual wiring harness that you will be able to assemble together and plug it in. (Maybe one of the "experts" here can verify this or not.) Finally - Good Luck - I am still looking for a NOS replacement switch. For now, I had my wiring expert - (my brother) rearrange the wiring so - at least - my brake lights will work. (I am not sure what he did.) I just use the "arm out the window" method of giving directional signals. Also, you will need some good luck because - usually - at parts stores and swap meets - I get the "deer in the headlights" look as soon as you start asking about anything Buick. The usual answer I get is "All I got is Chevy stuff" Thanks, BluesBrothersBuicks