- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: High Pressure Oil Pump on 430

High Pressure Oil Pump on 430

Where is the oil pump located on the 430? Can I get to the gears from where the oil filter assembly is or do I have to drop the oil pan?

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/OilingMods.htm

you don't typically need a high pressure kit. install the larger 5/8" pickup tube, make a full suite of oil passage mods and, most importantly, adjust the pressure relief screw and you can have as much oil volume and pressure as you want.

Buick owners have blown oil filter cans apart with the stock oiling. just like you can do with a SBC if you turn the relief spring too far.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

So I rebuilt the motor and one of the only things that wasn't replaced was the oil pump. So even if I replace with a stock pump, Where exactly is it located? And is that something that after installed needs to be packed with grease? What kind of grease?

Where exactly is it located?

for all Buick engines after the Nailhead, the oil pumps are located in the timing cover. basically, right next too the filter.

And is that something that after installed needs to be packed with grease? What kind of grease?

many people pack it with petroleum jelly to aid in priming the oiling.

So I rebuilt the motor

ah well. it's a bit late to do all of the oil mods now.

So even if I replace with a stock pump,

you're pretty set on replacing the pump. what kind of pressures are you pulling that you're so concerned?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

So the deal is that after the motor was rebuilt and got put back in, everything was timed up and tweaked and it was sounding pretty good. I never really drove it too far because there's no interior in as of yet, I would take it around the block and it seemed to drive fine. However, when I had a pressure gauge on the oil pressure it was around 15 when idle and maybe 20-25 when I revved it up. and when i took the valve covers off there was little oil around the head (not shooting out). I'm just concerned that once I start driving not enough oil will be getting up to the heads. And the only reason I keep suggesting to replace the pump is because that is the only part that isn't new... any thoughts?

You should have 11# of pressure per 1000 RPMs when warm. You are fine if you have that. TA and others have a Boost-A-Plate that will help if not. High pressure oil pumps (longer gears) are available, but will cause issues with roll pins and gear wear. High pressure pumps are to be avoided if possible.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

So if i have that pressure, then when I take the valve covers off should the oil be "pouring" out all over the place?

There should be some flow and it should fling oil around if you were to run it with the covers off. Was it rebuilt using the 430 rockers oiling through the shafts/heads or using the 455 lifters/pushrods oiling through the pushrods? You rocker shafts/rockers can become clogged if using the original system without a good cleaning.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo

It was rebuilt using the 430 rockers oiling through the head. Hollow rocker arm and solid pushrods. The lifters are new and the pushrods are new. Any recommendation on what to clean rockers with? acid wash?

Read the rocker arm disassembly and inspection section here: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/l...files/60-c.pdf starting on page 60-91 (if you have not already). Pay close attention to the re-installation procedure concerning the location of the drill mark side to side. This could cause oiling issues if assembled up side down or in the wrong position on a side.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo