- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 430 questions

430 questions

Hey all. My name is Brandon and im new here. I just picked up a 70 Skylark thats been cloned into a stage 1 GS. Im pretty new to the Buick world, but not new to cars. The car has a 430 in it that runs really well. Its totally stock with no performance mods. Eventually I will pull this engine and have it freshened with a set of TA stage 2 heads, and a good cam. Im looking to have a 500 or so horse street/strip engine. My main question in this post is what anyone's thoughts on mods I can do on this engine now to gain a little to hold me over. I know the basics, but maybe there is something these respond to better than other engines. Of course I know headers are a good start but i want to stay away from them for now, because of the thought of the stage 2 heads down the road. Any input is appreciated. Brandon

if you've got a 1967 engine there's a good chance that you've got the high flow exhaust manifolds. check the casting number list.

install an HEI ( or better ) distributor and get it recurved.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Will pretty much any HEI fit under the stock GS air cleaner?

*scratches head*

i don't think i've heard that question before. don't know the answer.

i do know that you CAN use an HEI from a Buick 350 ( and it must be a BUICK 350 ), but you'll have to swap out the gear on the bottom of the distributor shaft. SBB and BBB use different number of teeth.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

HEI Distributor and a GS air cleaner

The HEI distributor will interfere with a GS ram air air cleaner on the 69 and up GS's it will work with the Star Wars AC

So it looks like HEI is out with the stock air cleaner. What about MSD or other distributors without coils?

Quote Originally Posted by stubnosebrock View Post
    So it looks like HEI is out with the stock air cleaner. What about MSD or other distributors without coils?
    Here is Edouard's 430 with the MSD distributor built buy Jim Weise at TSP
    It made 509 hp @ 5500 rpm and 539 ft lbs @ 3900 rpm using STG 2 SE heads- 315/225 at .500
    TA Hyd roller 215/225@.50 on a 115 LC mid .500 lifts. TA roller rockers 1.6 ratio.
    Hoping for 20 mpg+ in his 1965 Buick Wagon.

Paul

Sounds like that engine would be alot of fun. Im looking as possibly buying a 455 I found locally, and building that, and swap out the 430. Maybe it would be worth a few bucks to someone.

430 heads are high compression and CAN be fitted to a 455 block. 430 heads can also be retrofitted with Stage 1 valves.

ONLY 1970 455 heads have decent compression. so, you might have an easy upgrade sitting right in your garage.

don't spend too much money on the conversion though. you can get brand new alum heads from TA that will blow any stock casting away.
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by stubnosebrock View Post
    Sounds like that engine would be alot of fun. Im looking as possibly buying a 455 I found locally, and building that, and swap out the 430. Maybe it would be worth a few bucks to someone.
    Brandon

The 455 will certainly give you more displacement to work with and the TA Stage 2 SE heads IMO are the best heads to work with.

Tell us more about what you are thinking for the internals for this engine build.

Paul