Thread: Hello and Suggestions please!

Hello and Suggestions please!

I just bought my dream car. Wife told me no when I told her about it. So I bought it anyway when she was at work she got home to park in the garage little did she know my 1951 buick was sitting there. She was mad! Told the wife it was a need not a want! Any way now it won't start cause it has no spark I replaced the plugs, battery, wires, and coil. Ran good for a little while now won't start. What should I check next? Thanks

Look at this thread
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...ignition-issue
    and follow exactly the test procedure descibed in post #2. Then post back again and tell us what you find.

Ray

Ignition issues on 1951

Ok I found no power at both positive and negative with the points open and found power at both positive and negative when points are closed what does that mean. And thank for the quick reply and help!!
    Last edited by 1951buickspecialman21; 09-17-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951buickspecialman21 View Post
    Ok I found no power at both positive and negative with the points open and found power at both positive and negative when points are closed what does that mean. And thank for the quick reply and help!!
    Unfortunately, the conditions you describe don't make sense. May I correctly assume that the ignition switch is turned on and you are using either a test lamp or a multimeter on the volts setting? If yes, are you touching one probe to the designated coil terminal, either (+) or (-), and the other probe to a known good ground?

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Ignition issue

Sorry it is my first time working on a old car always wanted a old buick now I'm having issues with fixing it. Thats why I joined this club to talk to the pros. Anyway will be doing some re testing again. I will get back to you to tell you what I have found also, I might add never seen a inline 8 before until now! Or seen points for that fact. And thank you Ray for the help you are leading me in the right direction now if can figure out.

Ignition issue

Ok so this is what I did I rechecked everything and everything was good on the probes on the coil they zero out but here is where I get confused I pull the coil wire off the disturetor and I stuck my finger on the end of it and then turned the motor over and I didn't get shocked! So either I'm still not doing somthing right or the parts store sold me the wrong coil or a bad one! What do you think call me 859-940-2293 so that I could get a better understanding Thanks.

You didn't get a bad coil. Your old coil probably wasn't bad either. As I said in the other thread, coils almost never go bad unless you do really bad things to them.

I honestly have no idea what you mean when you say "everything was good on the probes on the coil they zero out". You need to follow the instructions exactly as given in the other thread and describe what happens when you run the tests.

What time would you like me to call you tomorrow? Kentucky is in two time zones, so please say if you are on eastern or central time. I am retired and I usually don't wake up before 8 AM California time, so that would be 10 or 11 your time at the earliest.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 09-18-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Ignition issue found

YOu were right my new coil and old coil is good I did some research and found i was checking everything on ohms when all my wires were on I was basicly beach testing it the whole time. OOPS! I feel very embarsed! Any way I found my out my key swicth is bad I'm not getting power to the coil. Thank you very much for all your help. Please still call cause i don't know a whole lot about my car all i know is i love it! Call anytime except from 2:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. I'm on eastern time didn't relize kentucky has 2 time zones learned somting new!