Thread: 69 Wildcat brake pedal low

69 Wildcat brake pedal low

I have gone through the 4 wheel drum brakes and put new shoes on the front and had the drum surface cleaned. The brake pedal is hard with the engine off (power brakes) but when the engine is on, the pedal goes down some. The problem is that the pedal will almost hit the floor when fully depressed. The car stops fine. I installed a new master cylinder (actually 2, the first was bad), replaced the lines from the master to the valve and the front brakes. There are no leaks. With the vacuum disconnected from the booster, the pedal is hard but it also goes pretty far down. The booster seems to be working properly. I have noticed the rear brakes seem to to be stuck on after not driving a few days even though they were cleaned and lubricated. They may be adjusted too tight.

I ordered new rubber hoses wondering if they are absorbing pressure by expanding. Can't hurt to change them. I spoke with s fellw with a 69 Riv and he said his pedal did not go down when starting the car. Any ideas? I just love the way this car glides over the road.

Larry

bleed em

sound to me like you just need to bleed the brakes real ggod till clean fluid come out or all four wheel cylinders. the peddal will go down slightly when the car is started.

john

i would replace the rubber brake lines if they have been on the car awhile . The rubber lines are double wall and overtime the inner wall comes apart and then acts like a random check valve with brakes that are hard to bleed or brakes that stick or cause a pull or lockup . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.