Thread: 1970 Skylark Custom Convertible is this a good buy???

Question 1970 Skylark Custom Convertible is this a good buy???

Hey guys Phil here,so here's the situation I've come across a 70' Skylark Custom convertible and I wanted to know if the car was worth the guy's asking price of $5500 here's some info on it: Buick 350 2 barrel non-original engine but original trans,says the body is decent,will need a new top soon it has a tear on the driver side,needs paint and bodywork,trunk has been replaced,I think the grill insert is off of a 72 skylark,it has AC but the compressor is bad,the guy says it runs drives and stops great and the top mechanism works great as well,interior is decent and all there, the car is drivable as is and he said he was going to drive it while he restored it. I hope this is enough info for you guys if not just let me know and I'll ask him also here are some pics any response is appreciated because I don't have a clue about Buick's but I'm ready and willing to learn! I had four more pictures but I ran out of space on the post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buicknoob; 09-04-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Hey Phil.
    That looks like a nice place to start. I would certainly check those quarter panels and fenders for rust issues that are hidden.
    Price seems a little high to me for a project. I bought my 72 convertible project for about 1/3rd that price, but I knew mine would need a quarter panel. The new top will run $1000 or more.

I'd try to get that price down, and check the body panels very close.

Good luck.
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Also, show me a picture of the front. The 70 had a different grill and bumper than any other year.

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Thanks for the response and yea I thought the price was a little on the high side but I wasn't sure since I've never bought a Buick before,also I attached a picture of the front to my original post.

Is that the pot metal grill? Looks like it, from 72.

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

From the research I've done I believe it is

Buick 350 2 barrel non-original engine

try to see what the two letter engine code stamping is, it should be located between the #1 and #3 spark plugs on the deck of the block. you could have damn near anything in there and there's up and downsides to everything. newer than 74(?) will have stronger capscrew rods but compression will suck.

71-74, the compression will probably be 8.5:1. not the greatest but definitely not the craptastic <8:1 of later years.

1968-70 should be between 9:1 and 10:1 depending on how it was originally configured. you get lucky and you'll come up with a 1970 "SP" code engine that had the 2v intake swapped onto it for some reason and you'll have 10.25:1 and 315hp on the factory rating. i don't really think you're going to hit the lottery like that though.

it's probably a 74 or earlier because it looks like it's the factory Buick Red. later engines had blue paint.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine_where

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_63-75
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Yea I don't have luck so I doubt it will be the motor you mentioned But hey have to start with something,I'll be sure to check the code though and let you guys know.The car is 4 hours from me so I plan on making the drive tomorrow to check it out and possibly get her!!!

9. Any update here? Looks like a fair price to me - you can put lots of love into it.

'70 Lark

Let me start by saying, I love these cars, especially convertibles! The car looks decent, but you really need to check it out closely. Pics don't show it all, but I see a few irregularities. Front bumper and hood, and front hood molding is '71/'72. Check for front end damage (frame horns). Mirror looks painted? That's weird. Check for bondo with a magnet, if the guy will let you. Check floors, wheel well lips, quarters, lower fenders, and window channels for rust; if it dosn't need a lot of sheet metal replacement, that would make it a good car. Price is ball park in my opinion, but hit 'em low and work him from there. It's fun.