Thread: New Owner of a 56 Special

Wink New Owner of a 56 Special

Hi everyone. I finally got the guts to buy a classic. I picked 56 special up saturday and havent been able to stop looking at. Im sure everyone remembers those days! Now that its in garage, I realized just how much work I have ahead of me. I hope there's some knowledgeable people on here that don't mind teaching an amateur like me a thing or two.

So far, I've found out the gas tank has a small hole in it and the transmission leaks. I felt bad for the wrecker driver as it looks like a gallon of tranny fluid was on the bed.

Anyways, looking forward to getting to know everyone here! I'll be asking lots of beginner questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by frankdtank View Post
    Hi everyone. I finally got the guts to buy a classic. I picked 56 special up saturday and havent been able to stop looking at. Im sure everyone remembers those days! Now that its in garage, I realized just how much work I have ahead of me. I hope there's some knowledgeable people on here that don't mind teaching an amateur like me a thing or two.

So far, I've found out the gas tank has a small hole in it and the transmission leaks. I felt bad for the wrecker driver as it looks like a gallon of tranny fluid was on the bed.

Anyways, looking forward to getting to know everyone here! I'll be asking lots of beginner questions.
    I happen to be an proud owner of a '56. As a suggestion, The first think I would try to pick up is a Service Repair Manual. From the photo, the chrome looks in pretty good condition. The fuel tank will have to be dropped. You will have to jack the rear end up pretty high as the filler pipe is long and welded to the tank. As for the dynaflow, visit a local car show and ask around.

Good luck with Your project,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

I have a '56 Century 4dr. hdtp. I'm parting out if you find you need anything.

Tom T.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gallagher View Post
    I happen to be an proud owner of a '56. As a suggestion, The first think I would try to pick up is a Service Repair Manual. From the photo, the chrome looks in pretty good condition. The fuel tank will have to be dropped. You will have to jack the rear end up pretty high as the filler pipe is long and welded to the tank. As for the dynaflow, visit a local car show and ask around.

Tom Gallagher
    Thanks for the info! Finally got it up on some jack stands. The gas tank is out, I know I should replace it but I am itching to drive it! As for the tranny, its either out of fluid or the leak decided to stop. I'm a bit alarmed at something I found. I found 3 bolt missing where the drive shaft, if that what they are called, connects to the tranny. So basically just 1 bolt holding it together. Wonder if that would cause a massive leak during the incline of being on a to truck. I'm going to have to go over every inch of this car before I drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    I have a '56 Century 4dr. hdtp. I'm parting out if you find you need anything.

Tom T.
    I'm sure there's a bunch I need. Kind of overwhelmed at the moment with the missing bolts I found earlier.

Missing Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by frankdtank View Post
    Thanks for the info! Finally got it up on some jack stands. The gas tank is out, I know I should replace it but I am itching to drive it! As for the tranny, its either out of fluid or the leak decided to stop. I'm a bit alarmed at something I found. I found 3 bolt missing where the drive shaft, if that what they are called, connects to the tranny. So basically just 1 bolt holding it together. Wonder if that would cause a massive leak during the incline of being on a to truck. I'm going to have to go over every inch of this car before I drive it.
    The inclosed driver shaft system is called a "Torque Tube". The missing bolts is cause for concern and soure of the leak. The fluid should be changed anyway. Who knows how long it's been in there. Some other things need to be addressed. Fuel pump and carb will need to be rebuilt with modern diaphram and gaskets that will not break down with todays modern fuels. all fluid should be flushed and changed.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

The inclosed driver shaft system is called a "Torque Tube". The missing bolts is cause for concern and soure of the leak. The fluid should be changed anyway. Who knows how long it's been in there. Some other things need to be addressed. Fuel pump and carb will need to be rebuilt with modern diaphram and gaskets that will not break down with todays modern fuels. all fluid should be flushed and changed.
    Hahaha... I knew it wasn't called a drive shaft! I'll put some bolts in it and cross my fingers that the main leak is gone. I definately don't want to ruin anything with my excitement to drive the car. I plan on look over everything, replacing missing bolts, and changing out all the fluids before I get it on the road. As far as the carb and fuel pump go, they have both been replaced. The previous owner upgraded the carb to an Edlebrock and put in an electronic fuel pump. They both don't look like they have that much useage, so hopefully I won't have to do much with them. Thanks for all your advice Tom, I truely appriciatre it.

1956 Stainless Steel Buick Exhaust Tips

Tom Gallagher
    I have 1956 Buick exhaust tips for sale. Please email me at m.alexander199@live.com for I formation. Thank you.